Some more wood for my stash
A little more than a year ago I bought almost 500 bd ft of walnut and cherry from a friend near Gainesville, Florida and stored it at the house I have down there. There is maybe 120 bd ft of 5/4, 6/4 and 7/4 cherry, all quarter sawn with nice color. The rest is walnut. All was FAS. The walnut unfortunately was planed to 3/4 but it seems to be nice and flat and has nice color. The guy I got it from bought it several years ago to make cabinetry for the house he was building. To make a long story short, after working on his huge 2 story hip-roofed barn (shop) and his 4600 sq ft house for maybe 15 years, doing almost all the work himself, he developed the worst case of burn out I have ever seen. It was mostly finished except for the cabinetry and I tried to convince him to have someone else finish it but he was set on doing it all himself. He in ended up selling the house unfinished a few years ago and sold me the wood last year.

I wondered how I was going to get it up here to Western New York where my shop is. My wife and I went down to Florida for the month of September in our trusty outback Suburu and on the way back north we brought this load of wood in and on top of the car--about 200 bd ft. This load contained all of the cherry and some of the walnut. Still more to bring up but this is a nice start. Interesting that the cherry was all dimensioned to 6" wide. I paid $800 for the entire 500 bd ft lot. Ken

Some nice stuff there buddy. I hope to see what you make of it.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I agree with Arlin, that's some primo walnut there.
All that on top of a car?
Wow!
800lbs on top of you car? 4lbs a bdft.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Paul K. Murphy said:

Wow!

About 70 bd ft on top and the rest in the car. All the 7' long cherry was on top. The walnut and some of the cherry was about 6' long and it would go in the car with the back seat down. It cost me about 1.5 miles per gallon with the load on the car. The car handled just like usual but I did keep to 70 mph or less. Ken
Ken Vick said:

[blockquote]Paul K. Murphy said:

Wow!

About 70 bd ft on top and the rest in the car. All the 7' long cherry was on top. The walnut and some of the cherry was about 6' long and it would go in the car with the back seat down. It cost me about 1.5 miles per gallon with the load on the car. The car handled just like usual but I did keep to 70 mph or less. Ken

[/blockquote]

Ya just gotta LOVE a Subaru.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Quite a deal, you did well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm impressed.
I'm just frustrated that a few of the boards didn't fly off into my shop as you passed through MD. Nice score!