Hydraulic cement still best crack repair even if dry?
I have some relatively small foundation cracks that leak during heavy rains. Is hydraulic cement still the best choice for sealing and repairing them even when they are dry? I know that if there is a current flow they will stop the water, but that's not a feature that's necessarily important if I'm repairing them while dry. If anyone has used a better product that applies when dry I'd appreciate the input. Particularly interested in something that had a more reasonable working time, and a good adhesion to concrete of many different ages (some of my basement includes concrete less than 5 years old, some of an unknown age probably very old, where the new footer meets the old foundation wall).
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
Crack repair for less than 3/16" wide cracks.
Stopping a leak may also mean digging down the outside of the foundation also and sealing it there. I hired a mason to fix a leak and he also did that. Cant remember what he use outside; Quickrite was on the inside. The $800 was worth it to me.
Check whether an outside gutter drain be be dropping too much water near a crack...a gutter may have too many leaves in it.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
Getting rid of the source of the excess water is a solid tip, almost always the best way to stop foundation leaks. In my case the foundation wall is against a low spot shared by three lots. I've got two concrete gangways that drain to either side, probably forcing the water to pool underground against it. Long term fix is to dig it out, french drain, and water proof the wall. At this point with my household budget I need a fix that will stop the water intrusion short term, not ideal I know but I need to protect our stuff that's down in the basement to buy a little time till I can address it proper.
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
I changed from using hydraulic cement to Quikrete Concrete Repair.

http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/ConcreteRepair.asp

It comes in a caulking tube. It initially hardens like latex caulk then later hardens like rock. As seems to stay more flexible. Places when I have fixed multiple time with hydraulic cement and has recracked, has not cracked since being fill with the concrete repair.
I have only used hydraulic cement,not the other types mentioned.
Mix a small amount the consistency of mayonnaise and push it into the cracks with a putty knife or small trowel.Push the cement in as far as possible,scrape off the excess.The cement will expand into the crack and should be waterproof in less than 30 minutes.
You may want to check the perimeter outside to see if there is a problem there.Grading or downspout problem ,etc, could be the cause of the water pressure outside the walls.
mike