What's the right tool for this job?
I need to replace a small patch of trailor decking for our boyscout trailor. Think of a piece 8" x 10" in a corner.

I'm really, REALLY not going to replace the whole sheet, just this patch. However, I don't know how to cut this patch out. A jigsaw is out as part of the area is over the steel frame of the trailor.

What do you suggest?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Oscillating saw. You can go Fein, Bosch, Makita for big dollars and long term use, or $40 for a Harbor Freight. I've got a Bosch, and use it more than I thought I would have.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I recommend an oscillating multi-tool. If you don't already have one you can pick-up a single speed at H-F for about $20 usually.

Use a bi-metal blade in case you come into contact with the frame.

My .02 worth.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
back support it and rebate patch in place from top? Otherwise do you see any way to support it?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

jgourlay said:

I'm really, REALLY not going to replace the whole sheet, just this patch.

You need to replace whatever is necessary to get the seams over the steel supports.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

A Japanese pull saw can get in tight places. It is such a small cut that I'd rather spend an extra 15 minutes with a $16.00 pull saw than use a oscillating power saw (going out to buy the saw will take more than the 15 minutes saved).

http://www.amazon.com/Shark-10-2204-Dowe...panese+pull+saw
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Admiral said:

Oscillating saw. You can go Fein, Bosch, Makita for big dollars and long term use, or $40 for a Harbor Freight. I've got a Bosch, and use it more than I thought I would have.

Ding! These are one of those tools that once you get one you will wonder how you ever got along without one. I got the Fein and hyperventilated over the price. I used it a few times and it paid for itself right there.
Cooler said:

A Japanese pull saw can get in tight places. It is such a small cut that I'd rather spend an extra 15 minutes with a $16.00 pull saw than use a oscillating power saw (going out to buy the saw will take more than the 15 minutes saved).

Except sawing thru a dirt and sand impregnated panel sitting on top of frame rails isn't going to do much for your saw. With an oscillating tool, it's a $6 blade, and a bi metal blade is going to survive the abuse better. Besides, once you have the Oscillating tool, the time you spent going to get it is going to be saved over and over on future tasks.
LIL

If you opt for the $20 HF saw be sure to get some real blades. The blades that come with it are cr*p.
A Squared said:

[blockquote]Cooler said:

Except sawing thru a dirt and sand impregnated panel sitting on top of frame rails isn't going to do much for your saw. With an oscillating tool, it's a $6 blade, and a bi metal blade is going to survive the abuse better. Besides, once you have the Oscillating tool, the time you spent going to get it is going to be saved over and over on future tasks.

[/blockquote]

If he owns a Sawzall, he can make that cut easily enough with that.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.