Wood stove and kids
Wood burning season is here and this year of girl is mobile. I need to make a fence or guard..I could buy one but they are pretty pricey and not custom to our needs. Curious what anyone else may have done.

I was thinking of some sort of porch railing type barrier. It doesn't need to be tall all.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
We just yelled, um spoke firmly, to the kid when she looked at it. Kids aren't stupid, they feel the heat coming off it.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

We did that with "thing 1" but that was in a different house with a hearth and more clearly delineated danger zone. This house, the stove is kinda sticking out with a lot of exposed hot pipe .
My boy only touched the stove once.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

My first kid was kept from the stove by a custom made 2' high cherry fence made out of 1" spindles all sanded and finished to perfection.

Second kid - "hey you, stay away from the hot stove!"

Dead serious, by the time the second kid came along we took down the fence. We are such first kid/second kid parents.
Yeah...kid number 1 got a red finger once and learned. This stove arrangement is quite a bit different. Kid 2 is still learning to walk etc...
Curlycherry said:

My first kid was kept from the stove by a custom made 2' high cherry fence made out of 1" spindles all sanded and finished to perfection.

Dead serious, by the time the second kid came along we took down the fence. We are such first kid/second kid parents.

I was thinking of something like that. How close to the stove was it?
Just rope it off with an electric fence.

Are you wondering if I'm serious? I'm not really sure myself.
Think about it. A low voltage electric fence would cause much less physical harm than getting burned.

Eh - better put something else up. Fewer questions that way and less emotional trauma.
Ray
Scott W said:

[blockquote]Curlycherry said:

I was thinking of something like that. How close to the stove was it?

[/blockquote]

About 5-6' I think. Our stove is up on a step so that raises it up 9". The fence was 2' high and so being back that distance it was cool as a cucumber. My dogs were pizzed they could not get close to the stove and bake like they did before the fence.
I think, as was said, a kid will quickly learn not to touch it. I think the bigger hazard is running around and falling into it by accident. A barrier of some kind is a good idea, but you'll have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of types of material.
Dave