Is there a bad place tool abusers go?
Boatman53 said:

The guy tried to convince me it was a caulking iron.
Jim

It is now.
Looks like the previous owner had open storage. A shelf, maybe.
In a way, I think it's kind of neat. It may have been a rare LN tool that was actually used every day by someone who got their money's worth out of it. And, it'll still clean up to be a great plane. Or planer even.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
It sold for $100. Someone saw some value in it (actually several folks did, as more than one bidder was involved). Not a horribly bad price. It's one of the earlier 60-1/2's, based on the lever cap casting as far as I can tell. The letters are pretty crisp. Later castings are rougher.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Oh come on - that plane is in great condition. Just needs a clean.

Now this one I bought several years ago on eBay was not pretty. You can understand that no one else wanted to bid on it.

Missing and/or frozen parts ...

It turned out that this was the first skew block plane made by LN and it dates to 1985.

It is not quite the same size as the current model, and Tom LN helped me sort it out by making special parts, such as a fence, even sourcing a new W1 blade. It was updated with a nicker.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Carpenters and even framers use LN planes on occasion. Most often the more old world trained ones and also builders who do a bit of back country work where power "or hydro" is limited. I built cedar cabins in Canada for a short time in McGregor Bay between Little Current and Whitefish Falls. Onsite hydro was tricky sometimes and generators ran out of gas or would not start altogether. Our foreman was a Huron indian and he had a Veritas block plane that looked like a genuine 1917 Stanley with all the "patina" it had on it. I don't know when he got it but this was 10 years ago. Edited: I guess the block plane came out in 1999 so that made it no more than 6 years old at that time.

We were offloading onto an island one day to finish up a boat house and he dropped his tools into the water. Around there everything is rock so it slid down a nice underwater rock cliff and stopped 20 ft down. The water is crystal clear there (and about 50 degrees F on a good day) so it was easy to see. Since I was the newest guy on the crew and the only whitey I got to dive in and get it. About the worst start to a morning I can think of.

Lesson of the story is that high quality and relatively high cost hand tools get used outside of a heated shop. Just ask a timber framer or historic home renovator......or backcountry cabin builder.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
looked to me that some of the patina on the ebay plane was from sweat, i.e. it was used. Worse things have been done to tools
There is not even any house paint on that plane.

Now the chisel, that is what abuse looks like. At both ends.

I think those people go just about everywhere. I seem to find evidence of their passing in all sorts of places.
Quote:

Is there a bad place tool abusers go?

The Basement, AKA woodworking forum hell.