Frame and panel drawer front
How do you handle frame and panel for drawer fronts. A traditional floating panel can't be used. Is the back of the frame just rabbeted and the panel glued on? If so, I'm assuming this only works if the panel is plywood? If you want to used solid wood, say for a raised panel, how would that work?
The door and drawer fronts I have ordered are shaker style with flat panel side showing. The inside is raised so the panel is even with the rails and stiles, making for a flat surface to mount to the drawer box.

The company uses 3/8 mdf for the panels. These will be painted.

Otherwise, you have to figure out a way to make the panel flush with the inside. Depending on the style you choose, you may have to back cut the panels so it will be flush when mounted in the rails and stiles.
If you lay them out correctly you can overlay the frame so it can be screwed to the drawer leaving the panel floating this works best if you insist on raising the panel

I find it simpler to just frame the drawer front as the panel and glue it using a shallow rabbet around the frame skipping the angst of a floating panel altogether

most of them are quite small so movement is not as critical
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Hi,

Not clear if you mean a frame and panel attached to a drawer box, or a drawer with the frame-and-panel front being the actual front of the drawer.

If the first one I have done that by making the drawer box. The front is a true F&P, with the box attached to the front with screws that attach to the frame pieces.

Photos below show it. The panel in this case is plywood but it is still floating.

Another option would be to glue the panel to the drawer box and then glue on a "frame" around it of pieces milled tot thinner thickness. Kind of a faux raised panel, but I've never done that.

HTH.....Mike

The front of the drawer:

The four screws that go into the frame members:
As MT Stinger wrote, that is described as a reversed raised panel.

It is also common to order drawer fronts with wider stiles and narrower rails. This allows enough meet to screw into the stiles.
I often see (in my kitchen too) solid wood drawer fronts on drawers under 6" in height. The proportions get a bit goofy looking on the drawers under 6", and with raised panels even a little more than 6 inches.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.