Replacement motor for Jet cabinet saw
I'm looking to replace a bad 3hp 1 PH 230v motor in my Jet cabinet saw (JTAS-10XL-1) and the replacement motor from Jet is just shy of $700. Is there any alternative motors (Baldor, Leeson, Grizzly) that I could retrofit the connecting baseplate in there and make work? Really don't want to shell out $700 for a replacement motor, especially when other similar motors from companies listed above can be had for quite a bit less.

Any reason something like this would not work?

Grizzly 3HP motor

Has anyone replaced their Jet table saw motor with something besides a Jet motor? Any help would be appreciated.
Don't blame you for not wanting to shell out $700.00 I would go with the Grizzly.
The big thing is how the motor mounts. I don't have a Jet, but I did replace the motor in my Unisaw with motor that has a foot (I don't know the frame designations) instead of one that has the ears/tabs. I ended up mounting it with something very similar to the one in the wiki at Vintage Machinery.

Alternate Uni Motor
Last Fall I was in the same position. I ended up selling the saw with the broken motor. On my recommendation the new owner installed the Grizzly motor referenced. A week after he left my shop he emailed me to tell me the new motor was working well..
After looking at the jet schematics I can't see why the grizzly wouldn't work. The plate should come right off your motor and bolt onto the grizzly. I would bet it'll be a match but even if not perfect I'm sure new holes could be made to make it work. Usually there's some play in those mounting holes anyway. I was surprised to see the jet uses that adapter plate instead of the winged mounting like the grizzly h5387 has. Which is what the g1023 uses.
I bought one with a bad motor. I was going to bolt a 1 hp motor I had, on it. The adapter that the Jet uses, looks like any flat mount motor could be made to work.
Parted it out instead.
Does anyone know if the jet motor mount, will fit an older Unisaw?
Looks like it might.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
The grizzly you point to is a NEMA 56 (3rd row in attached table) which is pretty standard for most home shop power tools.
http://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/NEMA.pdf

Check the measurements of old one to this attached spec. My pseudo-educated guess is you're good.
Pirate said:

Does anyone know if the jet motor mount, will fit an older Unisaw?
Looks like it might.

I don't know for sure, though it looks like it would. But be advised that the Unisaw motor had a non-standard 3/4" shaft. 5/8" and 7/8" are standard NEMA sizes, depending on the frame (56 has a 5/8").
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"