walnut chest
A friend of mine is refinishing a walnut chest and asked me about a finish. I am not much into flat stuff, but did suggest spray lacquer, several coats, then rubbed with 0000 steel wool. Then maybe rub in a coat of carnuba wax and buff it. What are your thoughts on this and any other finishes would be very helpful. Thanks

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Walnut has prominent pore which need to be filled for a writing surface but IMHO this is detrimental to the wood. For something like a chest I would not consider using a grain filler, it only dulls the wood, and adds extra time and expense.

I'd use garnet shellac .or Ruby or Thai seed for a reder color. This will pop the grain with one to 3 1# cut coat and is very easy to apply. If he is not expecting heavy use then he is done. Otherwise he can topcoat with a good waterborne like Crystalac premium or GF HP/EnduoVar, They are very easy to use.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Lacquer isn't going to be as durable as some of the other choices, although it does provide a nice looking finish. I'm guessing that if he's refinishing he's already stripped the existing finish)?). If true, the grain is already filled (or at least sealed) and just going to the top coat of his choice is not a bad approach. Garnet shellac would add some color if needed, but I think maybe just the topcoat...if he needs something more durable maybe a good alkyd varnish (might add an unwanted color element) or a waterborne (water clear finish if he chooses the right one). Otherwise the lacquer would be easy to apply and look nice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The look of a Watco Danish Oil (Light or Med Walnut) looks great on reclaimed Walnut IMO. Let that coat dry a few days and top coat with anything. I like Endurovar on walnut or any oil based poly in a wipe-on formula.

Something about tinted Danish Oil on Walnut is really an easy, sure thing for me. Again, my humble opinion. YMMV.

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian
Thanks for the suggestions, I have passed them on.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I just built a walnut chest and applied 23 coats of Waterlox polyurethane wipe on varnish, rubbed out with steel wool at the end and applied paste furniture wax to the top. Many less coats on the panels and legs. No end of problems with the Waterlox streaking, and time consuming, but in the end it has a deep finish satin finish.