LV Vice Pic's As Requested By...
...The humanbackhoe and cputnam in last week's Nickolson thread.
Did not want to pollute that thread any further.

It's a nice tool.
Installation is easy, but you have to be precise when drilling the pilot holes. No room for error. At all.
Hope this helps.
Ag
Thank you for the posting.
Quote:

No room for error. At all.

Worth elaborating? What's that mean? If a hole is 1/64" off what's the effect? Does it require drilling out and refilling with a dowel - or epoxy?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
That is a finely designed bench, Ag......I hadn't seen a LV vice like that and believe it could do 90% of my clamping. The mind reels.....

Appreciate the pics...
Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
cputnam said:

Thank you for the posting. [blockquote]Quote:

No room for error. At all.

Worth elaborating? What's that mean? If a hole is 1/64" off what's the effect? Does it require drilling out and refilling with a dowel - or epoxy?

[/blockquote]

To get the chop running parralell with the bench requires the mounting plate be positioned exactly. My first attempt following the instructions left me out of plane.

So yes, drill, plug, scratch head, drink more coffee, and figure out a better way.

Once you find a way to position the mounting plate exactly, the pilot holes need to be drilled precisely in the center of each hole. I used a Snappy self centering bit and that worked very well.

To position the plate, I abandoned the instructions and with the bench upside down, did he following:

Make the chop.

Assemble the chop onto the vice.

Place the vice onto the mounting plate using the two supplied bushings ( but not drilling clearance holes for the bushings into the bench top, just yet).

Crudely place the entire assembly onto the bottom of the bench. Using a framing square, I laminated the blade of the square between the front side - edge of the bench and the chop, thus making the chop parallel and properly gaped with the side of the bench top.
You could use any flat rule that gives you the desired gap.
The framing squire I used left me with just a tad more clearance than I would have liked, but not worth changing or worrying about.

Adjust the end of the plate to the edge of the bench top, I think it is just flush. Be sure to check the lead screw in the closed position for end clearance against your leg structure.

Now you have your vice properly positioned, but the mounting plate holes are covered by the vice, what to do?

I made two narrow strips of wood and crazy glued them along two sides of the mounting plate, thus creating a solid reference cradle. Drawing reference lines here will not - not be good enough!!!
You can see one of those pieces in the third photo.

Disassemble everything, position, clamp, pilot drill and mount the plate. Drill clearance holes in the bench top for the bushings. Forstner bit here. Bushings should have end clearance in the top, so drill a tad deep. Just a tad.....

Be sure to clamp the mounting plate so it cannot move while drilling the pilot holes for the plate mounting screws.

The then mounted plate will serve as a jig to drill clearance holes for the bushings. Heed the instructions while drilling these holes, but it is easy to do. They are worried that the bushing holes not be enlarged. You would have to try really hard to mess that using a Forstner.

The bushings are vital to the assembly so don't omit them. They index the vice to the plate, and you index the plate to the bench.

The four lag bolts are less critical, once the plate is in place and with the bushings locating the vice, the lags can be installed.

This vice is advertised as easy to install, and it is.
But it requires that you do it precisely.
It is well made and works smoothly. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a first class - never have to buy another tail vice. It moves with you to your next bench for all the good reasons that a loved tool should.
Glad I have one!
Any clarifications, please ask.
Ag

P.S. The supplied wood screws for the plate use square drive larger than a #2 I think.
I do not have that drive, and neither does Home Depot so I replaced them.
Better, as the new screws are longer. #14 I think - Ag.
Wow! Thank you. Saved and clipped
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
AgGEM said:

It is well made and works smoothly. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a first class - never have to buy another tail vice.

I have only used this vise and the matching face vise at my local Lee Valley, but they struck me as very sturdy and super smooth in their action. Awesome quick release as well.
DarrenBrewster said:

[blockquote]AgGEM said:

It is well made and works smoothly. I would recommend it to anyone seeking a first class - never have to buy another tail vice.

I have only used this vise and the matching face vise at my local Lee Valley, but they struck me as very sturdy and super smooth in their action. Awesome quick release as well.

[/blockquote]

Indeed, the snap action release is flawless either way.
Ag
DarrenBrewster said:

I have only used this vise and the matching face vise at my local Lee Valley . . . .

Ah, to have a LV store within driving distance, a fond wish for us south of the border types!!! I'm envious.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Nice installation.
Does your vise rack? I have the same vise and I like it, but it racks a bit. By racking I mean that front of the jaw rides up maybe a 1/16 when tightened. I dealt with it by planing down the front quarter of the vise's top and now it is serviceable, but a bit of an eyesore.
rkwoodwork said:

Nice installation.
Does your vise rack? I have the same vise and I like it, but it racks a bit. By racking I mean that front of the jaw rides up maybe a 1/16 when tightened. I dealt with it by planing down the front quarter of the vise's top and now it is serviceable, but a bit of an eyesore.

I have not noticed any racking. But, I have not cranked down hard on it either.
I will give it some stress and see.
Ag