Tiger maple
Some advice on how to thickness plane tiger maple.
Thanks in advance
Mark
1a. Wet with mineral spirits prior to feeding into power planer. Very light cuts. Finish with drum sander or hand sander.

1b. Upgrade to a spiral cutter head on your power planer.

2. Rough dimension with power planer, then switch to hand plane - very sharp blade with tight mouth and chip breaker set very close to the edge (like less than 0.5 mm close).

3. All hand plane.

4. Find a local shop that has a spiral cutter head planer and/or large belt sander.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've had decent luck with heavily moistening with Mineral Spirits and taking very, very light passes.

Water, Denatured Alcohol or Naptha did not work as well.

Also keep an eye out for which direction created the most tear out and reverse for the next pass to see if that reduces the tear out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it's worse.

Ultimately, I did have to do some scraping with hand planes and card scrapers.
~Dan.
AHill said:

1a. Wet with mineral spirits prior to feeding into power planer. Very light cuts. Finish with drum sander or hand sander.

1b. Upgrade to a spiral cutter head on your power planer.

I follow this rule only I use DNA and water in a spray botttle . Make sure your knives are sharp , if your doing a large amount it pays to change them for new blades it makes a huge difference .

I fellow the planer up with the drum sander if there's any problems but I usually have good results using the DNA and sharp blades .
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
I use a helical head which makes a huge difference. When I still used straight knives I just kept a spray bottle of water next to to my planer. A quick spritz of water, let it soak in for about a minute and run it through. If you don't let the water soak in it will not work very well. That is the reason I don't use MS. It just flashes off too fast. That along with a slow feed rate and taking off about 1/32" at a pass should do the trick.
Thanks all
How large is the board?

Are you proficient with a handplane?

That seems the way with most control to manage this.
Anji12305 said:

How large is the board?

Are you proficient with a handplane?

I'm going to break the board down 4/4 X 10 X 8'
Hand plane is not an option, slight paralisys in both hands.
I wish it wasn't so, but I think my woodworking days are numbered.

That seems the way with most control to manage this.

I don't know how close you live to me but I see you are in PA. You are welcome to come use my machinery to surface the lumber if you want. I have yet to find anything that the spiral carbide cutter will not tame. The only really tough thing to surface is quilted big leaf maple and water works on it. If the helical heads on the jointer and planer should fail I have the necessary hand planes and can make quick work of it.
Dave,
A craftsmen and a gentlemen too. Great combination. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your generous offer.
Mark