Show me your: dust collector closets
I am building an enclosure closet for a cyclone / filter dust collector system. The system is future expansion, so I've not purchased or built one yet. I am thinking it will end up something like the clearvue 5hp systems, or perhaps the Jet 3hp style.

I'm working with a 34" x 6' closet space and trying to decide on which wall to put the door(s). Looking for ideas, especially when it comes to access for dumping.

Walls will be 2x6 insulated for sound with some furnace filter grills offset across an empty stud bay for air return.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
34" is tight...
the 55 gallon drum just slides bye the compressor .
Insulated... there is a set of steps to the attic that the compressor sits behind . the steps are in the air ..hinged......Tight...

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I made mine a freestanding shed because I hate excess constant noise. I have activator buttons all over the shop so I do not leave it running for hours so heat loss is not a big deal. In fact, it's nice to have the DC drawing fresh air into my shop as it helps remove fumes.

other view
WoodNET... the new safespace
Here's mine:

Mine is more of an alcove than a closet. The DC is free standing and not secured to the surrounding insulated walls.

Thanks, this shows me a lot. Double checking my dimensions, it looks like I am at 6' x 39" or 6' x 44" depending on how I fit the last walls.

It appears that the orientation of the cyclone charge duct and the discharge filter can be adjusted about the clock face. Looking at various manufacturer's websites, I was concerned about having access to the chip container.

It looked like you would need to either remove the filter, or break the charge ductwork to be able to pull the drum on most models.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Cian, what size is the dust container on your Dust Gorilla? I realize you have a height restriction which would prohibit a taller container.
What are you guys doing about venting air back into your shop? My plan was to eventually build a sound baffle vent from my DC room into my ship. Right now the air pressure created in the room when the collector is on is pretty impressive. It is enough to push the door open with quite a bit of force. Right now I just keep the door cracked so I don't choke the dust collector out.
ranger29 said:

Cian, what size is the dust container on your Dust Gorilla? I realize you have a height restriction which would prohibit a taller container.

Correct. The homebrew stand accommodates the height restrictions of the alcove and allows me to wheel the whole thing out to get to the filter. The leg splay was made wide enough to be able to slide the drum in and out easily. I have a 35 gallon drum.

Dave Diaman said:

What are you guys doing about venting air back into your shop?

Dave, I built sound baffle vents around the top of my closet. They have 5" openings with a baffle dividing the interior in half. I don't know how to quantify the total area (volume?) of the vents, but there are approximately 6-7 linear feet of vent. It seems to be plenty. I haven't noticed any back pressure in the cyclone closet. I put the vents at the top of my closet to prevent drafts at working levels in he shop. It works fine. Here's a photo of the vent from inside the closet.

Hank