Arthritis & Power Drill Batteries
Just wondering if anyone else has problems changing batteries in they're power drills. I have arthritis in both hands and in fact just had surgery on my thumb.
I just bought the Bosch 12V, and I'm having a devil of a time changing the batteries.
Wondering if someone has any tricks they use. I e-mailed Bosch, but they weren't much help.

Thanks
Yes yes yes yes yes and did I say yes!!!
I can't do it with thumb and finger of one hand.
Some success with holding the drill against my body and using both thumbs.
I haven't found an easy change except maybe the old Makitas. Anyway---just wondering if your couldn't build a jig where there was a semi-wedged-shaped opening with the sides high enough to reach the release buttons where you could just slide in the battery to release it? Sort of like the idea used for some jar openers in the kitchen.
Dave
I don't know how the Bosch batteries release. I could use one of these: Vice Grip 4" with pads on my 12v Milwaukee and 18v Ryobi tools
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

I don't have arthritis in my hands, but the batteries on my Makita drills often require you to hit just the right spot and push hard before they release. It's worse when trying to remove from the charger, because then the battery is upside down and you have to reach under the battery to hit the release button. In that case, it's nearly impossible to engage the button with your thumb. Wish there was a better way.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I got the Fred Sanford malady, but changing batteries in my Dewalt 18V tools bothers me not a bit!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have a Milwaukee 12V cordless drill. Here is a simple idea that might work for you.

I cut out the opening in a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood so it just fits over the handle and pushes the tabs on the battery pack in enough to release them. It stays in place and allows two hands to be used to pull and push the battery pack out of the drill. My wife volunteered her hands for the demonstration.

Bill

PA220018 by edn732, on Flickr" />

PA220019 by edn732, on Flickr" />

PA220020 by edn732, on Flickr" />

PA220022 by edn732, on Flickr" />

PA220024 by edn732, on Flickr" />
Bill,
Thanks. That is such an awesome idea. I can't wait to try it,
as soon as my cast comes off.

Deb
Was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I
feel so helpless when I can't even get the battery
out of the drill to charge it. I do have great neighbors
that will help. All younger and working, so when they
see me coming with a tool in hand, they know what I
need. Also, some drills are just to heavy for me. Jig
idea sounds good but I don't have a creative mind.
This site has a lot of smart people. I do listen well.
Sandra
Yeah, I don't have arthritis and still cuss my Milwaukee M12 when I try to change batteries, I may try to cut on of those baffles today.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.