The "Transitional" of Pocket Knives?
The handle is shaped so that to get the blade out you rap the point on its end against any hard object which ejects the blade enough to grasp it. One of its clever design features.
(12-15-2016, 06:29 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't like the newer pocket knives and haven't for years. They are too fat and bulky and wears a hole in the pocket. Too much handle for the blade and cheap blades.

I still carry the thin Japanese one made from stainless and rosewood in the late 60's.

For work, I use whatever I have.

There are a TON of really good pocket knives out there, with really good steel.  Spyderco sells some smaller knives with good steel.  Check out anything from Great Eastern Cutlery, Northwood Knives, or Queen.  They all sell traditional pocket knives with good steel and great workmanship.   Great Eastern and Northwood are made in the USA from high carbon steel (1095).  Queen sells pocket knives with D2 steel (practically indestructible, but harder to sharpen).  Spyderco isn't a traditional style, but some of their knives have really great steel (S30V is one).   Other good steels for knives are S35V, M2, Elmax, A2, and N690.  Some of the more exotic steels can get pricey.  Case still makes decent knives, but you need to get one they make with the Chrome Vanadium (CV) steel.  That's their original steel and it holds an edge better than their new "stainless" steel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Don't forget vintage knives; I picked this USA made Gerber from the '70s or '80s, a Sportsman I think its called, at a market for under $10 as the guy thought it was made overseas, when I cleaned it up there was Portland OR on the bottom of the blade; solidly made, edge holds well, brass, steel and rosewood.  Fits the hand well and doesn't bulge the pocket.  I'm told by the knife guys at the markets its a $55-65 knife, despite the few dings in it.  this is a pic I found on the web, no camera handy right now.  You can find them on ebay from time to time.

[Image: gersp1-300x252.jpg]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis