Porter Cable Nail Gun Shoots Blanks
Rarely use this tool. Putting on some crown moulding. About 2 out of 3 times, a nail does not come out. Of course, puts a dent in the moulding so have to patch it.

Looked at some You-Tube videos, took the thing apart. With a brief look, none of the seals were broken and the inside seemed well lubricated. Any ideas how to remedy this?
the nails are not advancing

what brand are they ? Generic?

the solution depends on the gun on a straight rail gun you can try raising the nails up one slot in the magazine.

angled is harder probably buy different nails.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Would probably help to know the model #.
this started happening to a roofing nailer I had. with mine the plunger wasn't retracting fully so the nails weren't advancing. Somewhere it has a leak. Took it apart and couldn't figure out which o-ring it was so its getting taken into the service center.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

JMO but before I took it to a service center I would squirt some lube onto the anvil and cycle it a time or two.

they get sticky with use.......

Edit to add: this may be helpful to the OP as well. I would certainly try it it hurts nothing

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

it was pretty well lubed inside. besides I pulled the anvil out and can't figure out how to get it back in without taking the entire lower assembly apart...the bottom of the anvil is a different shape than the middle and it passes through a piece that's shaped to fit tightly around the middle of the anvil.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Nails would be the first thing I would check.

I have a Bostitch that is finicky. It doesn't even like the nails that it came with. Feed it some expensive stainless nails and it is happy as a clam. It has champagne tastes. It would be high maintenance if it were a woman.
I have an 18 gauge and a 16 gauge PC nailer. I generally use Paslode brads and finish nails.

Been using those nails and nailers for over 15 years. Almost never a misfire.

I have a Bostich 7/32 narrow crown stapler I bought about 14 years ago. Had to have it resealed within a year(Bostich brand staples). Since the rebuild, it has worked flawlessly.

I oil them before use the first time of the day and again four hours later, if necessary.

Look at the nose and see if the nose plate can be removed(either screws or spring loaded latch). Opening that plate exposes the nail chamber and you can see if the slide hammer is sticking. A little oil on that helps.

Oh, I seldom use either nailer with more than 70 or 75 psi of pressure.
Could be nails that gun doesn't like but more likely is wrong pressure or a minor leak somewhere. It could also have been over oiled at some point and the excess oil has gummed up the works.

If it was mine, I'd take it apart, clean it, inspect all seals and reassemble first.

ron
Had like problem with a pin nailer using my pancake compressor with built in regulator. Duh, I finally realized I had lowered the pressure for a different task. Adjusted the pressure back up to about 70psi, worked perfectly again.

As for any pneumatic operated tool not on an auto oiler system, oil before use, then as noted previous about every 3-4 hours when used continuously.

I always inject some oil before storage, cycle 1x, then cap air inlet.

If the tool has not been used for a long period, try spraying some WD-40 (or automatic transmission fluid) into inlet, then cycling...normal lubrication should always be an oil specified for pneumatic tools; non-detergent, low parafin.

As for nails on my framing, 16g finish, 18g brad nailers, 23g pin nailers, and narrow crown stapler, I've used Menards brand name (Masterforce maybe?) and never had a problem. I do have some PC pin nails that came with the nailer that also work fine with PC & H-F pin nailers.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!