Fair price for a used lunchbox planer?
I'm thinking of selling my Delta 22-560 lunchbox planer. I've had it for about 12-15 years and it's had a relatively easy life of occasional hobbiest use. It still works well and I just installed a new set of knives. A buddy of mine, at work, may be interested. Do you think $100 is a fair price? I'm not trying for maximum profit or anything, but not really looking to give it away either.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I have the 22-565. I think $100 is a fair price, considering the new knives.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I concur, $100 for your planer with new knives is very fair...less than 1/3 of the price for a new version.

I see similar planers on CL in my area advertised for $150-200 frequently.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
I sold mine in a flash for $150. Old knives. I think it took 1 day on CL.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I'll amend my thoughts based on the answer to one question. Does the planer have the dust collection hood? If so, you might go $125 or $140/$150. Those can't be had new.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
No it doesn't. That's one reason I'm considering selling it. Thinking of upgrading to a DeWalt 734.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

A key here is "buddy of mine." I work at a large facility and I have acquaintances and buddies. If I can sell something to an acquaintance, or someone off the street for $125, I would sell it to a buddy for $100.

The price sounds fair to me.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
That's kind of my belief as well. I'm pretty sure I could put this on Craig's list and get more than $100, but I wanted to give the friend from work first shot at it. Heck, I'd even drop the price another $10 or so if it helps him out. I just wanted to make sure $100 was more than fair. I've never sold any of my tools before and most all of them were bought new, so I'm not up on current used tool pricing.

Thanks all.

$100 is more than fair, I see them all the time go for $150 or more and you have new knives which is not insubstantial. Your buddy should be happy as a clam at $125 and you are still cutting him a great deal.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I'd rather sell to a stranger and not have any unexpected repercussions. The best possible scenario is that it works fine for a long time and he saved a few bucks and you are still friends. Sell to a stranger and the worst possible scenario is he breaks it because he doesn't know how to use it but you never hear about it and haven't lost a friend over hard feelings.

You will be no better off selling to a work friend but there is a lot of potential downside. There is very little possible downside from selling to a stranger. This advice is especially true for automobiles.

No good deed goes unpunished.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe