microwave hums loudly
I have an over the range microwave that started to hum loudly when turned on this morning. I know that the magnetron turns on and off based on what power is selected so I put it on 50% and let it run. Sure enough the loud humming was on 20 seconds and then of for 20 seconds. Does anyone know how to diagnose if I have a bad magnetron vs some other issue?
Repairclinic.com was no help with this issue and Youtube videos weren't much help either.
I assume it still heats stuff ok?
My wife immediately stopped using it. just tried heating a mug of water for 30 seconds and it is ice cold.
I'm going to pull it of the wall later today and check it out. I was just hoping for some guidance before I tore into it.
Just buy a new one.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
If you open it up be very careful of the capacitors.
GHR said:

Just buy a new one.

While opening it up the plastic trim on the front broke. Replacement trim isn't available, so new microwave it is.
BTW: I did track the problem to a bad capacitor.