Still Here, Doing what I Do
I don't have a lot of time to post but I like to periodically post some pics of a recently completed tool just so you guys know I'm still here, alive and kickin.

In this case we have a Willie Davis style Winter Smoother with cocobolo rosewood tote and knob. I like the contrast of this wood with steel and brass. The brass on this plane has been True Oiled which gives it a lovely satin gold cast.

Ron

"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Lovely plane, Ron!

I love the low knob design and the one of the handle. Perfectly shaped and finished! Did you protect yourself while working Cocobolo? This wood was the one that opened the door to the hell for me!

It's an intriguing idea to finish the brass with True Oil, that's for sure. Could imagine that the True Oil protects the brass from aging. Do you happen to have longer experience with it?

Klaus
KlausK. said:

Lovely plane, Ron!

I love the low knob design and the one of the handle. Perfectly shaped and finished! Did you protect yourself while working Cocobolo? This wood was the one that opened the door to the hell for me!

It's an intriguing idea to finish the brass with True Oil, that's for sure. Could imagine that the True Oil protects the brass from aging. Do you happen to have longer experience with it?

Klaus

So very beautiful!
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
... And you do what you do so well! That's a beautiful plane.
Klaus I seemed to be getting more sensitive to this material as time goes on. I try to make sure I schedule a break so that I'm not working this material a lot in a given period of time.

I've noticed that the material I have that is over 6 decades harvested does not bother me nearly as much as newer harvested material. However I still take a lot of precautions when working any cocobolo.

Good dust collection right at the point of creation is essential and I wear nitrile gloves as well. I also frequently wash my hands and never touch my face while the dust is present on my hands or gloves. It's probably only a matter of time before I have to say no more cocobolo.

The True Oil actually gives a the brass a richer more gold color and it keeps my hands from tarnishing the material during the process of completing the plane. Fortunately you hold this plane by the tote and knob so the brass will probably resist tarnishing from hands for a while, however I think it probably will wear thru after some time. Fortunately oil finishes are easily renewable so just a good rub with Scotchbrite and more oil should put it back as it was.

I don't know how well the True Oil would work on highly polished brass. I bring the brass to a satin finish and then apply the oil.

Thanks for the kind words,

Ron

Thanks Hank, see you in a couple weeks,

Ron

Ron,

In the top picture, the knurled screw that presses against the iron does not go through, but in the second picture it appears to go through. Can you explain what I'm seeing?

Thanks
Catchalater,
Marv

I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.”
― Maya Angelou

I'm working toward my PHD.  (Projects Half Done)
I really, really, really like that handle.

Is there anyway I could make a handle like that to fit on Stanley planes?

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
MarvW said:

Ron,

In the top picture, the knurled screw that presses against the iron does not go through, but in the second picture it appears to go through. Can you explain what I'm seeing?

Thanks

Marv

It looks like it raises or lowers the angle of the plane.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
MarvW said:

Ron,

Thanks

That one good eye of your's is a good one Marv.