One should not assume his miter gauge is square
I use a Miter Set. Inexpensive and dead-on accurate.
http://miterset.myshopify.com
Goaliedad;

Feel your pain. Last week I had a frame kreg screwed up (quick project for the wife-to-be) and the last joint wouldn't close up properly.

Turns out all the stiles were not cut square. Unscrewed the glued joints, re-cut all the stiles, opted for shorter screws, got it back together. What a mess!!!

Remembered the miter square fell off the table a couple weeks ago! Kicking myself for 1) placing it where it could fall and 2) not checking it 'for square' often enough.

Jake
"Above all else, he's a happy woodworker, and he'll be laid in his coffin with the most unexplainable grin on his face for he has known he has lived." -Cian
Rick,
I took a look at the product you posted and it looks interesting but when I watched the video the guy kept saying that the angle was accurate to one thousandth of an inch. What does he mean by that?
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."
Can you make some kind of a sled for them.
I only use my mitre guage when I absolutly have to
For The Love Of Wood
kscott said:

Rick,
I took a look at the product you posted and it looks interesting but when I watched the video the guy kept saying that the angle was accurate to one thousandth of an inch. What does he mean by that?
Ken

I'm not sure. Shouldn't he have said 1/1000 of a degree?
kscott said:

Rick,
Ken

In most standards, the accuracy of a square is stated in inches error per inch of length. For example, if a 90 degree square is measured at 6 inches from the heel, the square would be +/- 0.006" off from a perfectly square line. I'm not sure what the Miter Set folks frame of reference is. 0.001" at the end of the tool? 0.001" per inch? Who knows?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I/we are getting really tired of the cheap miter gauge on the Grizzly TS.

I was thinking of one of these and what you guys think of them.

http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-Digimit-Di...B002LL0BO6

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-24-in-.../202361529

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Digital-Miter...ode=seeAll

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Carolyn,printing paper is.004 ,so the accuracy is 1/4 of paper thickness.
On another note ,the easiest way to square up a miter gauge takes about 5 seconds. Turn the gauge upside down with the head slightly loosened. Push the gauge against the saw table and reach under and lock the knob.If your saw prevents you from doing this,maybe fence rail in the way, use another tool like a band saw miter slot.
I made an MDF jig slotted for square and 45° .My cabinet saw and bandsaw have a fence rail in the way.
You will find that the miter slots are usually dead square to the table edge.

mike
Rick LoDico said:

[blockquote]kscott said:

Rick,
Ken

I'm not sure. Shouldn't he have said 1/1000 of a degree?

[/blockquote]

I'm pretty sure they are saying of an inch, it's also written in the text on the front page.

"MiterSet is accurate to within .001" "
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

LIL
So I called the number on the site and talked to a very nice guy, Greg, I think, was his name (phone connection on my end was bad) and he explained that the 1/1000th of an inch referred to the accuracy of the hole placement. I feel better now.
Ken
Carolyn "Kscott & GDay, can I come sniff you?"
Timberwolf "You ARE WHO you eat"!!!!!!! "
Spokeshave "You're swallowing someone else's DNA right now."