Another material source question
Unfortunately, Dymondwood was made by Rutland Plywood Corp and their production facility burned down in August 2014. The company statement is here. There is currently no publicly announced path for any more Dymonwood to ever be produced.

The competing Spectraply is still in production by Cousineau Wood Products but it appears that it is now harder to find in small quantities.

I think that this would be a good approach if suitable blanks could be found - especially a green-maple-purple combo.
Not sure if I am wasting your time, but I found this video and a couple of others of recycling HDPE into turning blanks, carving blanks, and mallet heads.

web page
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
iclark said:

Unfortunately, Dymondwood was made by Rutland Plywood Corp and their production facility burned down in August 2014. The company statement is here. There is currently no publicly announced path for any more Dymonwood to ever be produced.

The competing Spectraply is still in production by Cousineau Wood Products but it appears that it is now harder to find in small quantities.

I think that this would be a good approach if suitable blanks could be found - especially a green-maple-purple combo.

This news makes me very sad... haven't made knives in several years, but disappointing to now know that the best handle material there was is no longer being made.
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Depending on how dark of a green you're looking for, poplar may be an acceptable choice...
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
There's always Corian.