Building my own custom bathroom vanity
just retiled (floor) and painted my bathroom. Would like to replace my vanity. There's some wasted space between the vanity and the wall. I was thinking about building it myself and getting a custom granite top cut. Question is how to replicate the finish of these "warm cinnamon" vanities the home depot has. What species of hard wood/ply should i use? Any suggestions on color of finish?

Home Depot Vanity

Colin
Sure looks like cherry to me. I think I would start with that, and then try to get a finish that completed the look.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Alder would stain the best IME..

As for color you will have to do some experimenting but that appears to be similar to antique cherry when used on alder so much of color work depends on the effort you put into the finish wipe a stain on and wipe it off is not going to be a choice most likely you are going to have to put some effort into it , maybe so much as using tinting and toners to get the final result.

Oh and if you change the species the color will differ.

If it were me I would go to a paint dealer like Sherwin Williams and have them do the matching though it may be tough without a sample to match to. Ask nice and maybe they can figure out a way......

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

fredhargis said:

Sure looks like cherry to me. I think I would start with that, and then try to get a finish that completed the look.

yeah, i'm wondering if i need to get cherry wood and ply tho-- surely the homedepot's company is using a cheaper species.
Do you think alder plywood is available anywhere??
Cdshakes said:

[blockquote]fredhargis said:

yeah, i'm wondering if i need to get cherry wood and ply tho-- surely the homedepot's company is using a cheaper species.
Do you think alder plywood is available anywhere??

[/blockquote]

It is just as available as cherry and cheaper ask your lumber supplier.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

My supplier stocks it (alder) and it's about the same as the birch in price. Columbia Forests Products makes this stuff (I'm sure others do as well) so any supplier carrying their stuff should be able to get it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I suspect that HD cabinet is made with some lower cost wood, like maple, and the color is done with a lacquer toner. I made this tall maple and birch ply bath cabinet to match the vanity and mirror in the photo.

I believe the color was called cinnamon, but it's clearly not as red as your "warm cinnamon". In any case, I did it by spraying shellac + Transtint dye toner coats followed by a clear topcoat. You can get any color you want doing this.

Here's a vanity I made last Winter that had to match the color sample in front of it.

The sample is maple, the vanity is cherry. Why the woman wanted cherry to be stained like that I have no clue, but that's what she wanted so that's what I did. In this case I got the right color and look by using a SW BAC Wiping Stain and then my topcoats.

I'm sure you could get the color you want either way, but I think the toner approach would be best based on how it looks to me in the photo. If you are not proficient with a spray gun, however, then toners are out and you would be left with the wiping stain approach as the best option. SW's BAC Wiping Stains are amazing; nothing like stains you have probably used. Great color in one coat, easy to use, fast drying. If you go that route, alder might be a good choice of wood to start with as the base color is close. Cherry likely would work, too; I just hate staining cherry.

John

I forgot to mention that the SW BAC Wiping Stain was custom mixed by SW. I took the color sample and some raw cherry pieces with me and we modified one of their stock colors until it matched. It took about 4 adjustments and maybe 30 minutes. No extra charge either. At around $23/qt it is a real bargain in my book.

John
I would build it in maple. The finish - first coat lacquer - seal the wood. I would then use either polyshades (thin, then wipe-on) or get some tint for lacquer and spray. I don't know the color but with polyshade you can mix it. Do several thin coats - it work well that way. Do not brush on.

One thing I do with polyshades is to apply a certain color then use a different one either to lighten, or darken, or change the tint. It does take some patience but does do a nice job.

The other thing - some of the big boxes have samples of the finished cabinet. Take a sample of the wood you want to use and go to Sherwin Williams or a good paint store and they can match the stain. I have done that a few times also.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
You can probably order the stain from home depot- Probably $30 a quart- but they usually have stains available to match their cabinetry.
You know I forgot about that. I am pretty sure they do that because of their unfinished cabinets. Doesn't hurt to ask.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.