Breadboard Ends?
Making a coffee table top and am going to add BB ends. My question is do you tongue and groove the entire length of both the top and ends or do you use a stopped tongue and not show the tongue on the outside face of the BB? LOML doesn't care, but thought I would ask the guru's.
The tongues on the breadboard ends I have done do not go full side to side.

Depending on thickness of the end, there might not be a real reason why they can't go full width and be open on the end/side. However, if it's thinner, perhaps 3/4" at full thickness, you might want the strength that a closed end would help provide. Hope that makes sense...
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Here's how Norm did it on NYW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFCU7Buftac
I'm working on a table now for a neighbor. She gave me 4 - 9'x11"x2" walnut planks and said make a table out of it. So I cut 4 boards down for the center section and edge glued them. Then, using mortise and tenons I connected a breadboard on each end. No doubt you know that the breadboards can't be glued on due to movement of the wood. I attached them much like Norm did in the video provided above with dowels. In my project the mortise and tenons run the full length and are exposed. In this case we were going for a more rustic look. I think the stopped mortise and tenons look a little more refined and cleaner. We're almost done with the table top and will start to work on the legs and skirts next week. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
I prefer using dove tails on BB ends rather than T&G. Glue and or a dowel in the center and the dove tail keeps things in place better than a tongue and groove.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I was just thinking about this earlier that morning. I rarely see anything with BB ends now. I know why it's used but just don't see that much.

I don't mind seeing the ends.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of using dovetails, my jig won't handle the width of the top, so I may have to practice hand cut DT's before I try it on this piece. John, the top is edged with a different species and LOML has now decided that she doesn't want the railroad track effect, so I have to put BB ends on now
the dovetail is a sliding dovetail or just one per end you can stop one end but not both unless you want to do shorter keyed DTs and a slide fit

that said I use exposed end sliding DT for thinner stock ~3/4"

for thicker tops I use M&T with a shorter (stub) continuous tongue stopped 1/2" short of the ends
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

BB ends (open or closed) go against everything I've ever learned about woodworking done right. I've yet to come across one method that has changed what I've learned.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
you never read Tage Frid have you

he was the biggest proponent of covering end grain even in dovetailed drawers

his position is extreme to a fault maybe but there are good reasons for
BB ends.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy