Importance of jointer infeed table set up?
As I make slow progress on my DIY jointer, a question has arisen. I know the importance of having the surface of the outfeed table coplaner with the knives, but what of the infeed table?

The design I'm using doesn't allow for easy adjusting of the corners. I plan on shimming it at the four contact points where it attaches to the lifting mechanism, but I don't know that I'll be able to get it perfect.

Any thoughts?
Semper fi,
Brad

The infeed table is what presents the board to the knives. Will it still be flat? Yes. Should it be coplaner with the outfeed? Yes. If say your operators side is lower that the pulley side on the infeed table, you will always end up cutting more off and in just a few passes, the operators side will be 1/2" thick and the pulley side will be 1". It will be flat, yes, but not exactly what you were expecting.
Okay. Flat is what I need. I can deal with one side cutting a few hundredths more than the other.

Thanks.
Semper fi,
Brad

A few hundredths is huge. 3 passes at even one hundredth difference is 1/32". At 2 hundredths it's 1/16" and things are getting out of control. You need to shoot for a few thousandths.

John
you have to not only make the table flat it has to be in plane from the outside(closest to you) to the fence side. this is a critical part of setup, as differences here will stop the material once it hits the outfeed table or if riding high cause tapers.

As much as people put into the importance of making the infeed parallel to the outfeed I find that less important as long as the back is lower than the front ( closest to the jointer head) once the stock is on the outfeed table the infeed is little more than a carrier that is not really needed.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I think I've figured out a way to modify the design to make adjusting the infeed easier so that it's level front to back.

Thanks, gents.
Semper fi,
Brad