PM2000 motor stops randomly
Last year I picked up a used PM2000. Looked great and the motor ran great. Most of the time it still does. But occasionally, maybe 10-15% of the time the motor just shuts off a few seconds after it turns on and won't turn on again. You have to wait a couple of minutes and sometimes unplug it. Again it doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Today I installed a dado stack for the first time. Total blade width was just under 3/4", so it was kind of a big blade. It was late so I didn't use it very much but this time the shut off rate was closer to 50%. Again I didn't use it much. Actually only 3-4 cuts to get the exact dado width I needed.

Any hints on what's going on.
I wonder if it's a centrifugal switch problem or a cap going bad
Might be a faulty thermistor or whatever component turns the saw off when the motor overheats.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Is the motor starter's contactor still latched when this happens? If so the overload below it is not tripping it. You could also test the voltage at the motor with a meter when it happens if you are so inclined and knowledgeable enough to safely do it.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

the overload is in the contactor and there isn't one in the motor? I looked a the manual, and I couldn't figure that out. One site I looked at mentioned that sawdust buildup can be a problem. I would definitely look into that.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and blow it out and see if that helps. I'm in the middle of a project right now that I need to finish asap so any major repairs will be a big problem for me.
Pretty easy to check. Unplug saw and unscrew cover off the starter.

The thermal overload plugs in under a contactor. Almost all motor starter boxes have them these days. Here are some pictures of them.

http://www.factorymation.com/Products/TE...ds-6-300A/

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I believe I know what the problem is

the contactor box for that saw has a variable amp output and it has moved ( vibrated) to a lower setting than the sawmotor is designed to operate on.

I have had this occur on planers when the knives were to dull and the wood was being pounded instead of cut.

I can see it happening with a TS.

If you open up the box it is fairly easy to locate and adjust.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I called powermatic and they said what you suggested or that the belt needed to be tightened. I tightened the belt and then opened up the switch but unless I'm missing something it's already at it's max value. I can turn the switch more but there aren't any numbers as you can see below.

So I left the electronics alone and tried starting it again. Turned it on and off 10 times with dado stack attached and it tripped twice.

I read a few older posts on SMC saying they called powermatic and were sent a whole new switch. Being mine is second hand I doubt that will happen for me but I'll give them another call later on the week and see what they say.

I forgot to mention that when this happens the motor starts much slower / weaker than normal. Then a few secs later it shuts off.