Is this bandsaw a reasonable deal?
I'm in the market for a used bandsaw and this saw is available. I wasn't exactly looking for a 16" saw since my basement shop is small but this seems like a reasonable deal?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/5272426459.html
Mats
It's just okay.

I would look for a Delta 14" saw of similar age, if you're buying used.
Those are built for the ages, have lots of second hand parts available
and can be extended with a riser for more resaw height, if desired.

The Delta is also easier to resell, near your purchase price.

Were I in your neighborhood, I would shop for a more modern machine, such as the admittedly more expensive Laguna 16 offered
in Steamboat Springs.

http://rockies.craigslist.org/tls/5287880286.html
Footprint of a 14" vs 16" is not that different. This saw is a discontinued older model and you are limited to under 8" of resaw capacity, and while it is 2hp and comes with a mobile base and some blades, is priced fairly aggressively at $350, especially considering you can get a new Grizzly 14" with a fence, etc. for $500 right now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Delux.../G0555LANV

I don't think it will sell quickly, I'd wait on it for a while so the guy figures out is pricing is off, and offer $250 firm, then it would be a good deal if the saw itself fits your needs/wants. There will also be more saws made available, just be patient, they will appear.

I also agree with finding an old Delta/Rockwell for the parts availability and aftermarket accessories, although Delta is falling short on the parts score, and many folks go to Griz for things like the riser kit.

I personally have both a 14" Delta, and a 19" Grizzly (for resawing) and am happy with both.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks guys,

If you google the G1073 saw it looks like it got good reviews in 1995 when it was introduced. It says it's a cast iron construction and the saw weighs 400lbs. Typically with CL in Denver, people value their stuff a lot so it's hard to find reasonable deals.
Mats
Admiral said:

Footprint of a 14" vs 16" is not that different. This saw is a discontinued older model and you are limited to under 8" of resaw capacity,

And an older Delta is not a discontinued model? And has only 6" re-saw?
For a 16" Grizzly, that's a fair price.
Looks like one of those saws that was patterned after the PM 141/143 and the General bandsaw that was similar. I would go look and if the entire back of that saw is one large casting and it has cast iron wheels I think it would be a substantial saw for short money.

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Axl said:

[blockquote]Admiral said:

Footprint of a 14" vs 16" is not that different. This saw is a discontinued older model and you are limited to under 8" of resaw capacity,

And an older Delta is not a discontinued model? And has only 6" re-saw?
For a 16" Grizzly, that's a fair price.

[/blockquote]

Point is you have no way to increase the resaw capacity of the 16" Griz; while you can install a riser block in the Delta. That being said, the OP may not care about resawing more than 8". Parts are always an issue with older saws, but the Delta design is still made and those parts may fit and there are plenty of aftermarkets for it. I should have been more clear on that point.
Admiral said:

Footprint of a 14" vs 16" is not that different. This saw is a discontinued older model and you are limited to under 8" of resaw capacity, and while it is 2hp and comes with a mobile base and some blades, is priced fairly aggressively at $350, especially considering you can get a new Grizzly 14" with a fence, etc. for $500 right now:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Delux.../G0555LANV

I don't think it will sell quickly, I'd wait on it for a while so the guy figures out is pricing is off, and offer $250 firm, then it would be a good deal if the saw itself fits your needs/wants. There will also be more saws made available, just be patient, they will appear.

I also agree with finding an old Delta/Rockwell for the parts availability and aftermarket accessories, although Delta is falling short on the parts score, and many folks go to Griz for things like the riser kit.

I personally have both a 14" Delta, and a 19" Grizzly (for resawing) and am happy with both.

I agree with Admiral that it is over priced since their G0555's are selling for $475 and no parts for it either.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

Even though I haven't seen it, I think this saw is much more saw than the G0555 saw. Spare parts availability is a big concern. The size and weight is also a concern in my small basement shop, even though it has a movable base. It would certainly handle any job I would use it for.
Mats
If resaw capacity is not a concern, then you are right, it is a more powerful saw. Again, patience is a virtue in buying used, unless it's a screaming deal.