I need some encouragement about an upcoming project
Hello,

My wife and I would like to have a light fixture/ceiling fan installed in our living room, which has never had a ceiling fixture installed. There is no power to that ceiling, since we had the house built with a large den, and we only use lamps in the living room. The house is a ranch style, single story with 6/12 pitch hip roof and is 40 years old.

My concern is this: A couple of years ago, we had a lot of extra cellulose insultation added to the attic, and at this point, the insulation is so deep that the rafters are all totally hidden.

We plan to have an electrician do the installation, and the company that we've called says that they will have no problem in working in the attic, moving insulation as they go and easily finding the rafters, and easily accomplishing the work.

My question is: Should I be concerned that they might not be able to do this, that they could cause a problem or worse, break though our ceiling?

I guess that what I'm asking is, have any of you run into a situation like this?

Thanks (as always),

Louis
If you've got a checkbook your golden.

This is a typical call for an electrician. And given the weather is cooling off, not even a bad one.

Do you have another switch on the wall to add to? Or will he have to grab power from somewhere?

The extra insulation may slow him down a little, but it's certainly not a showstopper. 6/12 roof is plenty. I've crawled in 4/12 roofs with a foot of loose insulation. I'd be more worried about him getting the insulation put back best he can.
LouB said:

I guess that what I'm asking is, have any of you run into a situation like this?

Not a problem... worst case, they go through the ceiling. Some drywall repair and new paint and you're good to go.

Your den needed painting anyway.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

DieselDennis said:

If you've got a checkbook your golden.

This is a typical call for an electrician. And given the weather is cooling off, not even a bad one.

Do you have another switch on the wall to add to? Or will he have to grab power from somewhere?

The extra insulation may slow him down a little, but it's certainly not a showstopper. 6/12 roof is plenty. I've crawled in 4/12 roofs with a foot of loose insulation. I'd be more worried about him getting the insulation put back best he can.

Yes, there is a wall switch in the room.
the hardest part is getting the insulation (I'm assuming blown-in, batts are trivial) back in place.

And really getting the blown-in insulation back in place isn't that hard...more of a pain than anything.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I've crawled around plenty in my 4/12 attic with lots of insulation. Not fun, but not hard unless you have to get out towards the soffits. Just make sure the company is reputable and licensed to work in your town.

John
All in a days work for a competent electrician.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Uhhhh, why do you need an electrician? It's an easy project. You can do this in a couple of hours.

You can tap into any electrical outlet in the room ,run that to a switch box and run that to the light junction box. All you need is some 14g romex, two junction boxes, a switch, drywall saw , couple of connectors and some fishtape. If you've done electrical work before, an hour tops.

It's easy. Don't worry.
Thanks to all of you. You've made us feel better about it. I've installed ceiling fans in our house, but I don't consider myself to be enough of an expert to do the actual wiring, so we'll have the pros do it,

Thanks again,
Louis
LouB said:

Thanks to all of you. You've made us feel better about it. I've installed ceiling fans in our house, but I don't consider myself to be enough of an expert to do the actual wiring, so we'll have the pros do it,

Thanks again,
Louis

A good plan.When you'r not sure what you are doing it's usually cheaper overall to hire someone who knows.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.