Woodcraft casters
I see Woodcraft has their HD line of casters on sale for 30% off. Are they any better than some of the cheaper imports? I'm in need of 4 and was considering these. To be honest I looked at HF and they had some I think will work, but they don't have any with the double locking feature on the swivel casters in the size I need. So the question is: how good are the woodcraft casters?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
the Woodcraft casters lock with less play then the Shop Fox or Hartville ones that I have used. I like them the best of all of the casters I have used. I bought a set from Rockler that are pretty good also. I do believe that there was somebody that came on here last time that we discussed casters and said they had problems with the Woodcraft caster falling apart. I have had zero issues..
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Some years ago I put the woodcraft castors on my workbench . They work great, and when locked nothing can move them. Unfortunately tires wore out, and now they don't move even when I want it to.
mbw said:

Some years ago I put the woodcraft castors on my workbench . They work great, and when locked nothing can move them. Unfortunately tires wore out, and now they don't move even when I want it to.

They wore out?? Were you doing donuts on your shop floor with them?
No as a matter of fact, I rarely move the bench, which is very heavy. But at the beginning of spring I tried to move the bench and it wouldn't budge. It was then I noticed the wheels were flat.
Hi Fred

I have 8 of them, and like them a lot. I may be grabbing some more. IIRC the ad has a line stating they are all 300# cap too. Good solid lock, swivel like a champ, and no goobers so far. That said I have really had good luck with the few HF ones I've tried. Didn't have any luck with some off Amazon, blue kinda plastic/rubber tire, cracked in the cold, and the swivels were cranky, and the WoodCraft were less $$ on sale. HF were cheaper yet on sale.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've never purchased Woodcraft so can't weigh in on theirs.

I have had good experience with the HF but like you couldn't find a locking version for a specific size/type.

Might check with a Menards if you have one in your area or Home Depot. I've had good luck with ones purchased from Menards.

Also Grizzly has a wide selection available. Not sure how the price with shipping would match up with what you need.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
If you have a Tractor Supply store near you, check there. I've bought some there with the double locks and they come in a couple sizes. They are identical to the Woodcraft ones, as far as I can tell. They even go on sale occasionally. IIRC, they cost about 15%-20% less than at WoodCraft even not on sale.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thanks, guys. I'll check TSC though I've seldom found anything resembling a deal in there. If they don't have what i need I'll go with the Woodcraft units. I'm wanting to put a workbench in my pole barn, but this one will have to be on casters...and it will be heavy; I'm using the old Griz top from my shop (replaced it recently). So with the frame and top I'm guessing the bench will weigh in the 250-300# range before I put anything on it. I've really done well with HF, I have some tractor attachments that weigh about 800# sitting on a frame made with HF casters...but thy don't need to lock. Thanks to all.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.