How to price hand tools?
I'm doing some cleaning and found some hand tools I don't use and is just collecting dust. How do one price the tool for sale? Is there a pricing guide?
For starters I have a stanley#49 auger bit depth stopper, Stanley#90 marking gauge and 624A egg beater etc.

TIA

Richard
Any supposed pricing guide is out of date when printed for user grade, common tools. They can be helpful for the rare tools. Best to check completed items on eBay. But even then, you can never be sure of condition. I generally price below eBay results for items in proper working condition.

Before the "Great Recession" prices were much higher.

Condition is everything.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Admiral's advice is spot on. I would add that much also depends on your location. Being where you are will tend towards lower prices because there are so many tools in this area. If the 49 is in good shape, its worth about $15. The #90 marking gauge is probably worth $20-$30. I'm not familiar with the egg beater, but they generally don't bring much unless its a 2101 or 2101A. HTH
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
In addition to to the suggestions already given, you might visit some of your area flea market & antique shops for price ranges. It requires some footwork unless you can find some of their listings on-line.

Keep in mind the asking price versus the selling price can differ greatly.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Thank you for your advises.
Like Admiral said, Ebay is a good resource..The completed sales list will put you in the ball park, but condition is key to the final value...Whether the tool will sell for what you're asking is another matter...Sometimes the demand is slow for a particular tool, in which case you can try again in a few weeks when the market for it may be better.

I try to sell tools on this forum at a price that's lower than average on Ebay..because we are all friends here, and I know that Admiral does this also, as well as other members..!!! With us, it isn't all about making a huge profit, and we don't have to pay the 9% auction fee.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

DaveParkis said:

I'm not familiar with the egg beater, but they generally don't bring much unless its a 2101 or 2101A. HTH

Sorry Dave but I couldn't help myself. I have to agree with you since the 2101 or 2101A are both drill braces and even though they could beat eggs (if you attach a wisk), the preferred tool would be a hand drill or breast drill.

Hope you are doing well, I will be in touch soon.
Rick
"You can't always get what you want"
Price as on eBay, less 15% for loyal Netters.

If it doesn't get a nibble here, consider adjusting prices downward.

You can search eBay as a user under the "Advanced" tab to the right of the top search line for prior sales under a chosen category.

In my opinion you'll get better prices from forums like this than on
eBay, where the offerings are so numerous as to dilute value.
The other thing that's good about buying and selling here in the S&S is that most active sellers take the extra time to describe the item well, and point out the apologies where there are issues with the item; this is not always done on eBay and you can end up with disappointments. I tend to have a critical eye and point out things that are more condition oriented but won't affect function or use, so folks know what they are getting - and price the items taking into account any apologies. Major issues, i.e., cracks in metal and such, justify calling it a parts tool with the appropriate price reduction.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
RoundToit said:

[blockquote]DaveParkis said:

I'm not familiar with the egg beater, but they generally don't bring much unless its a 2101 or 2101A. HTH

Sorry Dave but I couldn't help myself. I have to agree with you since the 2101 or 2101A are both drill braces and even though they could beat eggs (if you attach a wisk), the preferred tool would be a hand drill or breast drill.

Hope you are doing well, I will be in touch soon.
Rick

[/blockquote]

Doh!! I meant the 1530.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$