X5 Uni motor in older PM66?
Does anyone know if I can transplant the 3 HP motor from my left-tilting X5 Unisaw into a 1984 left-tilting PM66?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
pretty sure the frames are significantly different. Can't you just sell the Uni and buy the appropriate motor? Or did it somehow get totaled?
Bob
I guess a better way to phrase it would be, how difficult would it be to do the swap? Would it need custom brackets or the like? Is there a reason it's flat-out not possible?

BobW, my X5 needs an organ donor, but there been a national shortage. My tale of tragedy and woe is told here, at the other end of this convenient hyperlink.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Highly doubtful it would transfer, though I don't know the frame on the X5 unisaw motor. The PM 66 is going to be a c-frame mount, which means it bolts through the end onto the yoke of the saw. The size of the c-frame needed for the PM66 will likely vary depending on the motor that the saw originally came with. But in any case, it doesn't seem likely that the unisaw has a c-frame in either of the respective sizes.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
skizzo said:

Highly doubtful it would transfer, though I don't know the frame on the X5 unisaw motor. The PM 66 is going to be a c-frame mount, which means it bolts through the end onto the yoke of the saw. The size of the c-frame needed for the PM66 will likely vary depending on the motor that the saw originally came with. But in any case, it doesn't seem likely that the unisaw has a c-frame in either of the respective sizes.

Thanks, Bill. It was worth a shot.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Oh, OK, missed that thread. Hope that doesn't happen to mine. It's a 2002, pre X-5. but I'm sure the guts are the same. The Delta replacement parts situation is a real shame. Four years ago the trunions on my 14" Delta band saw were broken. It took three months to get replacements. Since they were broken so easily, I checked last week to see if they were still available. They were, so I ordered a set just to have as a backup. This time they arrived in four days. Only problem is that somehow their system put in two orders. Now I need to decide if I should contact them to return them, or hold on to them because they'll be gold when their stock runs out, and they stop making them.

As to your situation, I suppose anything can be modified to fit anything. But there always seems to be a good market for replacement Uni motors. You likely have a US made Leeson that would bring a premium. Then buy your PM66 motor.
Bob
BobW said:

The Delta replacement parts situation is a real shame. Four years ago the trunions on my 14" Delta band saw were broken. It took three months to get replacements. Since they were broken so easily, I checked last week to see if they were still available. They were, so I ordered a set just to have as a backup. This time they arrived in four days. Only problem is that somehow their system put in two orders. Now I need to decide if I should contact them to return them, or hold on to them because they'll be gold when their stock runs out, and they stop making them.

They will indeed be gold. The market will be there on the 'bay. Sadly. Hang on to them unless you need the cash back.

BobW said:

As to your situation, I suppose anything can be modified to fit anything. But there always seems to be a good market for replacement Uni motors. You likely have a US made Leeson that would bring a premium. Then buy your PM66 motor.

Hey, that's a really good thought. Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

Another thing making the Unisaw motor unique, besides the mounting tabs instead of C-face or footed, is that it has a 3/4" dia. shaft, which is non-standard. That makes the motor just that much more unique. I also believe the capacitor humps and junction box are in non-standard locations due to the need to clear the opening. If it's a clean motor, it is or will be worth a bit on the used market, especially since it's for the left-tilt (mounting tabs are mirror image of right-tilt, I believe), which makes it even more unique.

I don't know if there's anything special about the PM motor (a C-face is not special), so I agree with the other post(s) regarding sourcing a motor for the PM (a very common frame) and keeping the unique left-tilt Unisaw motor, which should bring more cash than the PM motor should cost.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Aram, check your PMs about local saws.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Sorry to hear about your woes.

If you have a PM66 motor that doesn't work, I'd see about getting it rebuilt.

For the Uni, perhaps a machinist would like the challenge of cutting the teeth off and scabbing on a lump of steel and recutting the teeth. Wouldn't be cheap.

One might be able to have the teeth welded up and re-cut too.

The idea of parting out the Uni might be the path of least resistance though.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry