Unisaw egress strategy
First, I want to thank everyone for the information and advice so far. My 3 HP, left-tilt X5 Uni has a trashed arbor bracket, with virtually no hope of finding a replacement. Does anyone want to talk strategy? I can part it out, or sell it for parts. I don't have a strong gut feeling about which is smarter.

The saw is in very good shape. The cast iron surfaces have a small amount of superficial corrosion or staining, but absolutely no rust. They are flat. The saw includes my hand-built router table-- a torsion box replacing Delta's extension table -- with a cutout for a Woodpecker insert, T-slots for a split fence assy, and a small but functional dust cabinet w/dust port around the router. To be clear, I will keep the plate, router, and my home-built split fence for my next saw. I also have an extension table (a second, hinged torsion box). Bies fence is in excellent shape, has never seen the edge of a saw blade or been abused. Rails are in very good shape as well, a few minor marks here and there.

I'll need this out of my garage to fit a new one, which, if the sawdust gods are smiling, will be soon.

Pros and cons thus far:

Sell for parts, or to fix up:
Pros: Gone in one shot. No detritus to deal with.
Cons: Likely to yield less $ (not my main goal, but still a con). And that's if it sells at all; who would want an almost complete Unisaw with no arbor bracket?

Part out:
Pros: Maybe increased chances of selling *something*. Might yield more $ (again, not my highest priority). Left tilt arbors are in high demand and are virtually unobtainable, and I have one. (I have no interest in gouging people, by the way). It's possible that the same can be said for the motor -- I'm not sure.
Cons: Could leave me with large, unsold and unwieldy parts to store forever, and I don't have space.

If I do part it out, I'll have to figure out not only how to price the pieces, but how to group them. It's not obvious to me.

Thanks all.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Damaged saw as a whole might = $200ish
Patiently parted out on Ebay = $1000ish

What was your question?
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Lumber Yard® said:

Damaged saw as a whole might = $200ish
Patiently parted out on Ebay = $1000ish

What was your question?

Well there ya go!

Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

The only part I can think of that might be a hard sell is the cabinet, and that could go to a scrap metal yard for a few bucks.
Bob
I agree flea bay is likely the best way out but it will take time and I doubt you see more than 500 plus the issue of packing parts out for shipment. but that is way more then scrap iron pricing; I doubt you would ever sell it broken and would not even try

as for parts tear it down and post them one at a time in several postings

if it does not sell try combining parts and if that does not fly time to cut and run

As for the arbor

That piece is gold and I would hold it till the bitter end you are likely to make more on that one piece than the entire rest of the saw

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Thanks, Joe, sounds reasonable.
Best,
Aram, always learning

IMHO you should be close to $500 after selling just the fence and the motor. My estimate of $1000 parting it out might take some patience and be slightly optimistic but you'll clear over $500 easy.

Stuff just adds up quicker than what you think:
  • Throat plate
  • Miter gauge
  • CI wings
  • Blade guard
  • Mag Switch
  • CI table
  • Hand wheels
  • Motor cover
  • etc. etc...
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP

the fence will bring fair money; the starter and motor will not do nearly as well as one may think. Cast is heavy and bidding will be commiserate to the cost of shipping

I see it more as a way to supplement the purchase of a new machine and he is at a disadvantage with parts for a relatively new saw that has a reputation of eating arbors.

the LT motor cover IIRC is plastic this is not a goose egg saw

hand wheels and tilt /elevation screws may do OK

JMO but I would not be surprised to see a lot of the parts never bid on
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Without getting into the debate of how much it will bring as parts, I do think it will be (considerably) more than selling it whole. But for storage, disassembly and labeling the parts, then discarding the not-so-much-in-demand stuff should leave you will a manageable pile for storage. Bag the hardware (bolts/nuts etc). in zip locks with the parts, and if possible record the OEM part number. I was surprised that someone mentioned the table as having value; I guess I wouldn't keep it, but maybe keep the wings.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Man this blows chunks on so many levels.

I don't own any Delta equipment, but after your experience, I would never even consider buying anything new from them.

Hopefully you can get enough in parting it out to find a vintage PM or Delta that can be maintained.

I wouldn't sell your extension tables as they can probably be used on whatever you replace the saw with.

How do you like the Woodpecker's plate?

How ever you choose to resolve this, good luck.
chris