Power feeders
There have been several threads recently in which power feeders have been mentioned. In fact in a trade, in which I got my Delta HD shaper, I got a Holzer feeder. This past week, I got both shaper & feeder working nicely in unison, and am wondering why I didn't go this way years ago.

question: how many here use feeders on other tools, such as jointers or table saws? If so, what size unit? Have any here used the small Delta, ShopFox or Grizzly units?

Thanks,

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have a bandsaw feeder on my MM20. Its purpose made for a bandsaw (medium size) and not one I move to other tools. Even that table really needs to be about 2" wider so they are definitely intended for smaller saws. Sam Blasco did use a typical feeder on his saw with some unique mounting and support.

I am not a fan of baby feeders. 1/2hp would be ok (I even sold that one too) but for almost the cost id go with a 1hp.

A true jointer finger type feeder would be cool.

Love one on the shaper.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I wish I could fit a power feeder to the spindle moulder on my combination machine but unfortunately it would get in the way for other uses of the same machine. I also think the 3hp motor on the spindle would be on the small side for use with a feeder.

Actually I have an ELU feeder waiting for future needs. Both the cirkular rip saw (24" blade and 7.5kW motor) and the separate spindle moulder (4kW motor) will need feeders when I can afford the space I need to set them up for use. They are both in storage at the moment.

I would not buy one of those mini feeders. I cannot see the adwantage of a feeder on a router table and I think they would be too small for anything else.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Appreciate the opinions so far. I have to add, my Holzer unit (1hp) is on my Delta HD shaper. My question is more for my Unisaw and/or my 6" jointer.

I visit used metal machine dealers fairly often, and there are usually a few stray woodworking machines. Usually see some junk units, but with some good additions, such as feeders, fences, etc., usually for next to nothing. My shaper & feeder did not cost me much more than $300, plus some freight (long story, dealing with an auction purchase of an over arm router, that I worked out a swap for the shaper/feeder, plus some freight (IIRC, about $150). I did have to fix the spindle height lock (thanks to help on this forum, very easy job). Bearings and everything else in good shape on the shaper.

I got miles and miles of tongue & groove knotty pine paneling to run for our hunting camp, and really has me thinking of searching out another used shaper so both bits can be set-up at the same time, but that will mean another feeder, and so on!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I do not use feeders in my shop, but have used them extensively in my career and helped several clients buy them over the last couple years. I've used them on shapers and table saws.

The Delta Versafeeder and various clones are good for a router table but not much more. The feeder itself is fine, but the holding mechanism is not designed to resist dangerous loads like a shaper might give. When kick back is a serious issue, it is nice to have the ability to press the feeder down with an acme screw.

Ralph
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
TGW said:

I wish I could fit a power feeder to the spindle moulder on my combination machine but unfortunately it would get in the way for other uses of the same machine. I also think the 3hp motor on the spindle would be on the small side for use with a feeder.
<snip>

Not asure what combo machine you have, but I use a 1HP Delta feeder with the 3HP shaper on my Robland X31 5-function combo machine.

It's a bit of hassle since it needs to be setup/torn down, but not a big deal if I am doing several raised panels.

I know feeders are also commonly used on Felder combo machines.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I use them on table saws, fantastic for vee grooving panels when set up with an overhead arm system and ripping stock consistently with the correct fencing it will even straightline rip accurately. Also used here on shapers, router tables ( I have a smaller 1/2 hp unit here). Once I get a bit more flush I will have one on my Bandsaw. It will be three phase controlled with a phase converter so I can set the feed speed infinitely. Being able to go slow makes for nearly flawless veneers.

I am not as big a fan of them on Jointers but that is just me. a belt drive would be a better solution than wheel driven ones
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I have one on my shaper. I can't see having a shaper without one. And I am like Joe, I would like one for resawing on the bandsaw and I don't think I would want one on a jointer.

I have had frustrations running long boards on a jointer before and thought it might be a good idea. Now I cut my boards down and don't build large projects. (Although a kitchen table is on the project list.) My concern with one on a jointer is I don't want the feeder to press out a bow in the wood which would spring back once through. If you know what I mean.
MKepke said:

[blockquote]TGW said:

<snip>

Not asure what combo machine you have, but I use a 1HP Delta feeder with the 3HP shaper on my Robland X31 5-function combo machine.

It's a bit of hassle since it needs to be setup/torn down, but not a big deal if I am doing several raised panels.

I know feeders are also commonly used on Felder combo machines.

-Mark

[/blockquote]

I have A Stenberg KEV 600.
Here are two short clips showing one in use as thiocknesser and as spindle moulder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_SfnCvFsYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBeBfUbC8AI

The problem is that the spindle moulder (shaper) fence and the adjoining dust hood are folded back away from the table when not in use. Right in the only spot where one could fasten a feeder stand without it interfering with either the jointer or the thicknesser.

Back in 1957 when this excellent machine was built feeders were almost nonexistant so this wasn't too much of a problem........ and there was no dust collection either.......
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
TGW said:

Actually I have an ELU feeder waiting for future needs. Both the cirkular rip saw (24" blade and 7.5kW motor) and the separate spindle moulder (4kW motor) will need feeders when I can afford the space I need to set them up for use. They are both in storage at the moment.

I would not buy one of those mini feeders. I cannot see the adwantage of a feeder on a router table and I think they would be too small for anything else.

Have you guys seen the Flipper?
Accura Flipper attachment - fits Comatic 1hp sized feeders. You need to use it with a larger feeder. I own one of these.
Felder makes on for Steff feeders too.

http://www.machinepartsforreuse.com/Larg...ock-feeders.asp

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.