Hypothetical situation - need opinions
Let's say you've been using a Jet 2012VS for 7 years and have decided to get a large lathe. You'll keep the 2012 because it's just silly to fire up a 2 or 3hp one to turn a pen. You don't really know what you're going to be turning in the future. You know you want to start doing bowls and who knows what else. You could also stay more with flat work and not use it all that often. So far you've primarily turned pens and other small spindle stuff. You've started doing salt & pepper mills, but they push the limit of the 2012. You've only turned 1 bowl and that was on a friends PM3520.

You've decided to get a Robust lathe and, after much debate, watching videos, talking to friends and Brent English, and flipping a coin, you decide on the Liberty over the Sweet 16. Then you get to thinking that for ~$1300 more you could get an American Beauty. Space isn't much of an issue, either one will fit in the shop. Price is somewhat of an issue, but at the level of these lathes, it really isn't that much more ~$6550 vs ~$7850.

So, what would you do, hypothetically speaking?
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
I used my 4 speed Atlas, with a 1 hp motor for 2 years and then got a PM 3520A. Great step up. I ended up selling it. I now have a Robust Beauty that is for personal use, and a Liberty for teaching on. Main reason for keeping the Beauty... 3 hp. Do I need the extra throw on it? No, but I have it if I ever decide I need it. I do like sliding headstocks, and prefer them to the pivoting ones, though I haven't tried out the Vickmark pivoting headstock lathe, which appears to be a brute. I do have a little Jet 1224 which I keep for threaded boxes. If you sell it, within a week, you will need it. Only other lathe in this price range is the big 4224 or what ever it is PM that now has a sliding headstock. No performance difference between iron or stainless, but they do make different noises. Robust is made in the USA, so if you can afford it, Robust.

robo hippy
the most popular line of thinking is to buy the most you can afford. I prefer to buy the most you are comfortable spending. To be honest you can't go wrong with either. I believe the liberty is a 16" swing with a sliding headstock so you can turn as big as the motor will handle. For what it's worth the market and female opinions of stuff close to the 16" range is very very limited.

For double lathes my requirement is to have the same spindle size so I don't have to re-tool or use adaptors. That's not a factor in your case but you may want to consider that in the pricing.
Keep the Jet and buy the Liberty. If you find you want bigger you can always get the American Beauty later.

You don't think this will be your last lathe purchase, do you?

Twinn
Will post for food.
Were it me, I'd sell the Jet and use the Robust for everything. Overkill for pens? Maybe. I kept my Jet Mini when I bought a Nova DVR, thinking much the same as you. My Mini is now set up for bowl and pen buffing. You can turn small stuff on a big lathe. Another consideration is if you get the larger lathe, you will want and/or need new chucks and/or a different insert to retrofit whatever you have now. It might be a good time to invest in a quick jaw change chuck (EZ or Nova) for the Robust.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
robo hippy said:

I used my 4 speed Atlas, with a 1 hp motor for 2 years and then got a PM 3520A. Great step up. I ended up selling it. I now have a Robust Beauty that is for personal use, and a Liberty for teaching on. Main reason for keeping the Beauty... 3 hp. Do I need the extra throw on it? No, but I have it if I ever decide I need it. .....Robust is made in the USA, so if you can afford it, Robust.

Hypothetically, if such a situation does exist, then it's definitely a Robust, the question is which one?

Also, If it were me, I'd keep the small lathe also. I've got 2 Bandsaws now, an old Crapsman 12" that my Dad gave me when he had to stop woodworking and an 18" one. I keep a thin blade on the 12" and a resaw blade on the 18". Each has a purpose.

Twinn said:

You don't think this will be your last lathe purchase, do you?

Hypothetically, YES. Robust is the top of the line, no where to go but down.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
American Beauty. No doubt
I went from a Jet 1220 to a Sweet 16. I kept the Jet thinking I would use them both, sold it when I didn't. Sweet 16 can handle everything I want to do.
I do think there is one lathe better then the Robust Beauty and that is the VB-36 for $7600 https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/216...erm=lathes

Like they said if you have the money get the best either one is the best to me.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Never heard of anybody "trading up" to anything else once they have an American Beauty. Just Sayin'
Love mine.
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.