Need ideas on how to fix this: Gnawed table legs.
" />

I plan on chiseling and sanding down the rounded detail at the top, but what options do I have on fixing the square corner on the bottom?

THE CULPRIT
" />
You can fix both areas with Bondo, and then paint it to match. I've fixed very similar damage to what's on your round section with Bondo and it was invisible afterwards. I made a little masonite template to match the profile. I put on some Bondo and formed it to shape with the template. After it cured I filed and sanded to final shape.

John
Given that it is a painted piece it should not be too much trouble to rebuild. After all, you don't have to match the grain and hue of the wood.

Pare a flat surface with a chisel and glue on a small block of wood. Once the glue has dried pare it down to match the adjoining profiles.

In all honesty, you could probably rebuild both surfaces using nothing more than a gel epoxy. Mask off the adjoining surfaces, mix up the epoxy, apply it and then use blue painter's tape over the epoxy to counter the affects of gravity. Remove the tape as soon as the epoxy lights off and sets--don't leave it until the epoxy cures if you can help it.

What to do about the culprit is the bigger challenge. If you go for hot sauce go for something hotter than Tabasco. Mine developed a taste for it. Dave's Insanity might not be out of the question.
Wood filler, bondo, epoxy.

Or if you can cut the damage back to a flat surface you can glue/scab on a piece of wood. And use wood filler to fix the unavoidable imperfect joints between old and new.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
I really like Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty

Available everywhere, you mix it with water, and to form it, just let it start to dry a little, and you can cast, or form it. Once dry you can tool it with files, scrapers, hooks, or anything else. It sands well, and stays rock hard. Easily paintable too. Durhams is just tough and would be perfect for this job.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Definitely Bondo for a painted surface like that. Hardest part is matching the paint, unless you have some of the original. And don't punish the little dog, He/she didn't know that this is a bad thing to do. They always grow out of the chewing stage eventually. BTDT
Bob
Oh, and is this a pom or pom mix? We've got three of 'em. They are great little dogs with a lot of heart and personality.
Bob
jteneyck said:

You can fix both areas with Bondo, and then paint it to match. I've fixed very similar damage to what's on your round section with Bondo and it was invisible afterwards. I made a little masonite template to match the profile. I put on some Bondo and formed it to shape with the template. After it cured I filed and sanded to final shape.

John

I second the Bondo solution. I had two small holes punched through the plywood panel in my garage door. I backed up the holes with a small piece of plywood glued in place and then filled the holes with Bondo.

From the outside the repair is invisible. On the inside you can see the plywood patch.

This damage is small enough for Bondo. I would build it up and match the profile with a rasp. Prime and paint.

You often see tables like this with painted color legs and a different finish on the table top. So if you cannot match the color exactly you can go with a contrasting color.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Agree with Bondo. Easy to work and hardens quickly.

Just a note if you have never used it. Once hardened use sandpaper to break the top skin. For some reason it will gum up anything you use. Once the shiny part is off use a file or what ever. I have always had issue with the shiny part.

Of course wood putty - I use Elmer's most of the time will work but cures a bit longer. I use Elmer's because it is really smooth - no wood fibers.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Here's a photo of two legs I repaired with Bondo as I described above.

And here's what it looked like after I painted them.

John