Shipping Wood?
Can someone give me a quick primer on shipping wood interstate? Length/width/thickness/weight limitations? I am especially concerned with shipping Black Walnut To California. I know the BW Canker (?) or something else is threatening BW, but isn't it more a worry about traveling from out west to east than the other way around? Should I contact the CA DNR?

Thanks

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
There is no quarantine for thousand cankers disease of black walnut in California. Thousand cankers disease is already there and wide spread so a quarantine would be pointless. Wisconsin has a quarantine for importing certain walnut products into the state but that wouldn't apply to moving material out of the state. Generally walnut lumber can move anywhere if it is free of bark and kiln-dried. Ken
Thanks Ken, that should be all I need to know.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Kiln dried walnut can be shipped with the bark; however, I'd include proof of kiln drying with the shipment to avoid possible impounding.

The problem with thousand cankers is importing from the infested zone (Colorado and west). I have been offered very good deals on CA walnut and walked away.

We both ship and receive lots of walnut in MN and work closely with the MN Dept. of Ag.
To those infested/quarantine zones you can also add the Richmond VA area and IIRC some counties in TN. For the Richmond zone it is kiln-dried and bark off to leave (or was when they instituted it a few years ago).

I am well outside the Richmond are, but that does eliminate several good suppliers of black walnut bowl blanks.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.