which dream lathe?
$700? Closer to $7000...

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Grey Mountain said:

$700? Closer to $7000...

GM

He was referring to an April Fools post I had in SNS.
Yes, you could almost hear the sound of WoodNeter's around the country sitting up in their chairs, suddenly alert.
DCM said:

I'm VERY impressed with the Robust, but the only thing I question is the weight - I think it's in the 600-700 lb range - I would think I could add some weight to it if needed. But if you had no prob. w/100 lb out of balance blank I don't think this would be an issue?
Steven - did you need to add weight?

I did not add any weight to it.
It's 600+ lbs on it's own, and the way the legs are configured (flared) gives the lathe a very stable footprint and a low center of gravity.
That said, I do now have a shelf underneath (there's a set of brackets along the lower inside similar to your PM) that I keep some logs and fixtures on, which probably adds another 100lbs or so to the base.
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Robo - I had not looked at them - they do look nice. I guess your happy with your Beauty? I'm pretty sure I want the sliding head stock as well

Pinky - that is an awesome setup - I might have to put that in the mix 2

Steven - it sounds like the Beauty is plenty robust as is . It would be easier to move.

Shop Dad - The Powermatic is definitely in the running as I'm sure the quality is there + I could get the best price w/free ship. The serious would cost a bunch to ship

I'll let you know & thanks a bunch
David
Shop Dad said:

David,
Search CraigsList widely (searchtempest) for a Powermatic 4224. There have been some recently at envious prices. Barring that the AB is outstanding. The VB is awesome - but somewhat non-traditional - check it out. The Serious looks pretty massive too. Maybe an Oliver patternmaker lathe?

Doug

[blockquote]DCM said:

I have been saving for some time to get my dream lathe. I mainly do bowls & HF's - not mush spindle except tool handles & finials so I don't need a long bed. & the short list is:
Robust American Beauty
Serious Toolworks
Powermatic 4224

do anyone have any of these or advise?

Thanks
David

[/blockquote]

I bought my PM 4224 off craigslist, paid 3K for it. I would guess I searched daily for over a year before I found it. Now, it's not the "B" which means no sliding headstock for starters. There are many other improvements to the newer model but I like mine just fine. If I were to ever buy new it would be a Robust. FWIW, if you can put your hands on an August, 2013 issue of Woodturning Design there is a great article about Robust lathes, their philosophy, and how they came to be.
Steve K

Steve - $3k for a 4224 is a smokin deal - congrats
This might be a stupid question but I can't figure out what advantage there is to a sliding headstock? Somebody please enlighten me.
I forgot all about a Stubby lathe with a moving bed.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Pinky

For me it is so I can easier move the head stock to the end and hollow out a bowl, box, hollow turning and that would be if someone had the drop down bed.

That is the main reason I had to go to one. The Delta 46-460 I was using before I gave it away I was using it to make the above. While I was turning and looking down into the hollowing my neck popped out of joint. Since I had a bad neck my Dr. said no more turning unless I found another way. Well I gave up on turning since I figured there was no way I could afford nothing but what I had.

After that sometime one of the guys started a post and others donated $1400 all together and then Tools Plus gave me $400 when I bought from then from the people there and PM was having their 15% off. So I ended up getting my PM3520b with the 18" extension and power cord for a total of $2200 but it would have cost $4500. We put the rest on a CC and paid it off this year. I got the lathe back in March 2014 and I and the others have been enjoying it since.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.