Looking For A Good Household Multimeter
I don't need anything fancy, just looking for a good basic meter that I can use around the house and car for checking voltage (AC/DC), resistance, etc.

I don't need a $200 Fluke, just something that is usable by the average dummy (me).

Any suggestions for such a thing?
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
HF MM Good enough for around the house. Maybe not if you're designing and building your own vacuum tube amplifiers. Or clocks. But good enough for basic routine stuff around the house.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I bought a $20 greenlee a decade ago when my more expensive one went missing. I have not had any issues with it. https://www.energyavenue.com/Greenlee/DM...aQodwyMKBA
WoodNET... the new safespace
I bought a $10 Sears in 1966 and it has served me well ever since.
I would suggest an auto-ranging meter because it is so much easier to read. Electronics Specialties builds quality meters for fair prices. Amazon carries their ESI 480A Auto-Ranging DMM for $37.68 delivered. I own a ESI #687 Low Current Probe/DMM that I use frequently. Although my Fluke 87V is superior to the ESI 687 DMM, it has measured circuits at the exact same value. For automotive electrical fault testing any DMM coupled with a ESI LOADpro Dynamic Testing Leads is an unbeatable combo. I would highly recommend any auto technician or enthusiast to own a set of these leads.

Electronic Specialties

Amazon link

LOADpro test leads
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
TDKPE said:

HF MM Good enough for around the house. Maybe not if you're designing and building your own vacuum tube amplifiers. Or clocks. But good enough for basic routine stuff around the house.

^^ This.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I'll just throw this out there so you know it's there.

I have the wireless version of this one and I'm a fan of Fieldpiece meters for long term use and durability.

The Fieldpiece LT83A- about $60.00.

About once a month HF gives those meters away free with any purchase......

Ed
I've got a cheap Craftsman at the house. Full digital. I think I gave like $15 for it 10 years ago. Still works fine. Mainly used to measure voltage on cordless tool batteries.

Not the meter I carry and use, but decent. Have tried to sell it for $10 at more than one garage sale though, if that tells you anything about its value.
I bought one of these from Amazon a while back and like it a lot.

Click on the image to open the page.
chris