Look what followed me home
Went to a estate sale and picked up a few things. Guy evidently did restorations and had lots of big older tools. Lots of 3 phase. Prices ranged from good to ok. Saw this PM mortiser and it was listed at $450. It had a good amount of, what I think, are aftermarket chisels. The price was good and I had always been interested in a floor standing model but the hassle of reorganizing the shop to make room and borrowing the truck was enough to make me pass. Later that night I notice that they change the ad online to state that everything marked was 50% off. Suddenly moving some tools around and calling my friend to help me load it wasn't as big a deal. Got there real early figuring there would be a long line like the previous day, but to my surprise there were only 5 people when they opened. I've never been to the 2nd day of an estate sale before. I guess no one shows up for them. Immediately tell the guy I want the mortiser and test it out. Seemed to run fine and only blemishes were some surface rust and the door to access the chuck was slightly dented. Unfortunately they decided to sell the chisels separately so I had to fudge out another $30. But overall I'm pretty happy. Since my friend was bringing over this truck I decided to buy a few pieces of poplar as well. 4/4 stock, 8-12" wide, 8-10ft long. 12 boards at $5 each. There were a good amount of lie nielsen planes and veritas tenon cutters but I didn't see them fast enough and a tool dealer got them all. Oh well. I'll just have to be happy with the mortiser I guess.

Are you saying you scored that machine for $225. That's major league suckage if so.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Id love to have one of those even for $450

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I had one lined up at $450 but everything went south the day I was supposed to pick it up and I couldn't get to it. Still bothers me from time to time. You scored a sweet machine. The guy that was selling it was making custom garden gates but when the shop he shared ended up all his with almost no machinery as the other guy sold the toys to me he had to let the lease go. I have to ask what did the want for the 22-44?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

How can you even sleep at night knowing that is taking up space in your shop? Good on you for the 'rescue!'

I guess we all learned a valuable tip here...go back the second day!

And I thought I had scored well a couple of years ago when I bought a NIB, never opened, Jet, JWP12-4P 12-1/2" bench top planer at a yard sale on D2 for $100.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Yah $225. Well plus tax It's been on my wish list ever since I saw on a wood whisperer video many years ago.

Bob, that messy shop in the background is mine. I picked up the 22-44 a couple of years ago for $400.
$225. Gloat- gloat- gloat! Nice score.
That deserves a

Wellll,
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Wow! You scored big time! I thought I scored with my $500 Jet, but yours is the steal of the month! BTW, those suckers are heavy, aren't they? Congrats on your new machine.