Cutting a 2" slab into a circle???
Morning Folks....

In the past, I have seen you all cut large circles with a router. At the time I did't really see the actual setup. The finished table top will be 36" and I have some long straight bits with a Milwaukee router I plan to use.....

Pics anyone?

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
I would not do it this way because I have other options, but you could buy a circle jig from Rockler that cuts circles up to 52" or you can build one just like it

For something that thick I think I would cut a circle from 1/2 sheet stock, probably mdf, draw out the circle on your piece and cut it slightly large with a bandsaw or jigsaw and then put the mdf on the piece as a pattern and clean it up with a pattern bit. I'm sure someone will probably come in and tell you if this is a bad idea.

Actually, thinking about it, circle jig and plunge router, taking small bites would work fine.
Jasper Jig works awesome. They have a plate (sold separately of course) you double stick to the top and the jig rides on that. Maybe copy it with the diameter you need?

http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-300J-Router...ords=jasper+jig

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

+1 on the Jasper Jigs, I would rough cut close first.
Bandsaw to me seems like the best tool, although I have used the circle jig with a router when cutting an 8" circle of something this deep. Did need sanding, as light passes do leave score marks with each lowering of the bit.
I rough cut arcs and circles with a good jigsaw ( go slow do not push the cut or it will twist the blade in the cut and cause tapered cuts; outward is ok inward is not Band saw is fine if you have enough support to hold up a heavy top just be aware that you can still over cut if not set properly

After that, I have a simple masonite jig router set up to make arcs or circles up to 48". I mount the router to the jig and a single pin set to the radius of the circle and cut it true.

The Jasper is fine but costs money. Mine is made from scrap and works exactly the same.... I just drill a small hole where I want the radius pin to set measuring from the inside of the cutter to the pin location, or if you want to just hook your tape on the bit add the diameter of the bit to the radius of the cut.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

BloomingtonMike said:

Jasper Jig works awesome. They have a plate (sold separately of course) you double stick to the top and the jig rides on that. Maybe copy it with the diameter you need?

http://www.amazon.com/Jasper-300J-Router...ords=jasper+jig

+1
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
JGrout said:

I rough cut arcs and circles with a good jigsaw ( go slow do not push the cut or it will twist the blade in the cut and cause tapered cuts; outward is ok inward is not Band saw is fine if you have enough support to hold up a heavy top just be aware that you can still over cut if not set properly

After that, I have a simple masonite jig router set up to make arcs or circles up to 48". I mount the router to the jig and a single pin set to the radius of the circle and cut it true.

The Jasper is fine but costs money. Mine is made from scrap and works exactly the same.... I just drill a small hole where I want the radius pin to set measuring from the inside of the cutter to the pin location, or if you want to just hook your tape on the bit add the diameter of the bit to the radius of the cut.

What he said.

My circle cutting router jig is nothing more sophisticated than a scrap of hardboard sized to fit my router and then screwed to a scrap of 3/8 ply to act as the arm. I drill a hole in the arm wherever i need the pivot-point to fall.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Totally doable using a pivot point on the table saw. Jig saw it close and then go to the TS.
woodguyatl said:

Totally doable using a pivot point on the table saw. Jig saw it close and then go to the TS.

Like this?

Yep. It can be done.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.