Cored-Lidded bowls
Last summer I was at the Utah symposium (Super Weds) where Mark Baker was coring a bowl and then using the core as a lid.
Well, I finally got around to playing with the concept.

Spalted Maple Bowl#1. Showing the bowl with the lid on.

Spalted Maple Bowl #1. Showing the the lid off, in this case the lid is designed to function as a 2nd bowl.

Maple Bowl #2. In this example the lid is designed to be "just" a lid, so it has a Rosewood knob

Maple Bowl #2, the lid also as a Rosewood button on the inside.

This was a great first and second bowl, I plan to continue to produce additional examples
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
What a great idea. The first one I'm not sure about. The second one is awesome, thanks for sharing.
Steve K

Pretty nifty. Do you have much issue with warpage and movement? Or are you coring and then allowing the pieces to fully dry before making your fitting cuts?
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
What are the dimensions of these pieces?
I am so glad both of you are turning and posting again so thank you.

The first one has the odd factor which appeals to me and the maple is just wonderful to look at.

The second one looks like it would make a very nice Pie container. So when you go somewhere you put the pie in it which makes a great woodturners statement. I like it too.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
czarcastic said:

Pretty nifty. Do you have much issue with warpage and movement? Or are you coring and then allowing the pieces to fully dry before making your fitting cuts?

I prefer dry, the first was damper then I thought and the lid and bowl warped oddly different
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Paul K. Murphy said:

What are the dimensions of these pieces?

Roughly 12 inches across
Steve K said:

What a great idea. The first one I'm not sure about. The second one is awesome, thanks for sharing.

Mark Baker presentation was on making the lid a 2nd bowl, so I'm still working that concept
Arlin Eastman said:

I am so glad both of you are turning and posting again so thank you.

The first one has the odd factor which appeals to me and the maple is just wonderful to look at.

The second one looks like it would make a very nice Pie container. So when you go somewhere you put the pie in it which makes a great woodturners statement. I like it too.

Arlin

Been turning a lot, just not posting. Our first show of the holiday season starts tomorrow and we have been making lots of "stuff"
I like them both but the first one has interesting possibilities for carving or other decoration.
I know the voices aren't real but man do they have some great ideas !

People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet