door bell constact ringing [unless chime box switch is in OFF][
front & back doorbells. neither button sounded the chimes.

used multi-meter to check the 4 AA batteries. All four around 1.24v. Before put in fresh, I used a q-tip with vinegar to clean off a little blue/green corrosion. Another q-tip with water to wipe off the vinegar.

chime box has a choice of 15 or so musical verses and an OFF switch. when ON, it's a constant repeat of selected verse unless I switch to OFF. So I have a complete circuit somewhere.

The two buttons are free. I've pulled the wiring out as far as I can to check for bare wire and possible shorts.

On the back of the chime box, there are three red wires; two go to one contact screw and one to the other screw. Before the batteries died, the present wiring was fine. The transformer is attached to a floor joist above a finished basement ceiling. Haven't been near it in years. Not easy to get to but is doable. Have I exhausted all possibilities at the two door bells and the chime box? Outside of checking loose wires on the xformer, what else?
I would disconnect both buttons and see it that improves the situation.

That failing, I would disconnect the wires to the chime.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
varkpilot said:

The two buttons are free.

Did you unhook the wires?

If not, I'd unhook the wires from the buttons just to make sure that isn't the problem.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I screwed around with the wiring on my door bell for a few days and gave up. I installed a wireless remote door bell and was done. It had the advantage that I could install a bell in the basement and on the deck so I could hear the bell no matter where I was. Cheap too. The battery lasted 18 year and I replaced it before it died.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I don't get it. Where were the batteries.??? Is this a wireless system?? You talk about pulling wires out. What am I missing here???
John T.
chime box is bad.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Don't know if this applies to your situation, but I had a doorbell that played a tune. I replaced one of the push buttons and it acted weird. I don't recall if it repeated continuously, or only played the first note.

Someone told be that I had failed to replace the button resistor. I learned something new that day. Certain configurations have a resistor wired in parallel to the switch. Perhaps yours is broke or loose. It might be worth checking.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
Are the buttons the lighted kind and not supposed to be?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!