Cutting Down a Unisaw Mobile Base?
I currently have the 52" set-up on my Unisaw. As we will be relocating to possibly smaller shop space, I was thinking of removing the extension table, cutting the fence bars and cutting down the mobile base.

My question centers on the mobile base. The foot pedal sits out past the stationary feet (ones nearest the saw body). if I cut the bars after the pedal bracket, that will eliminate a second set of stationary feet.

Do you see any problem with that?
Dave
Swap it out I have one I can trade you. I will be in Santa Rosa Turkey Day
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bob I appreciate the offer---but there's no way I could get the base out from under the saw----I'm restricted on how much I can lift---and doubt I could have managed before I got the health issues.
Dave
well that's too bad I don't have time in the near future to get up where you are at. I can move the machine no problem when do you need to get it done by?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Huge time frame---sometime before next June. Don't know how you'd get it off alone but we can certainly talk.
Dave
Dave

FWIW, I use the square base (Delta) that doesn't have the extension for the right-side table, even though I have the long rails and table. I have the wheel under the table, so to move it, I have to stick my foot under there and push the pedal down. It works well, and I don't worry about the cantilevered table, as the angles are an order of magnitude or two stronger than needed for support of the unloaded table.

I don't move it often, but when I do, I simply readjust the feet on the table when I'm done.

In NJ, I had to push it against a wall at night to get my car into the garage, so I had the wheel in the front, under the elevating crank. That worked well, too, though it was a little tippy toward the table. But it allowed me to push it right up against a wall, under a high bench that just cleared the table. With a bunch of stuff under the side table, and only a gap in the 'stuff' for the table legs to slot into. Kind of a Chinese puzzle. But again, only the square mobile base. Twenty years later, it's still fine for my needs.

Just another data point.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Dave,

I shortened my Unisaw base by taking out 10 inches of the base extension. Cut out 10 inches from each side and had the legs re-welded.( added angle iron at the re-welded joints for additional strength) Foot pedal was also cut off and relocated so it was easier to use (standard location on Delta base was awkward for me) . This allowed me to keep the furthest set of feet, guaranteeing a more stable set up.

Now I can only rip about 38 inches, but thats what I bought my track saw for.

I don't regret shortening the bases/table for a minute .
Dave
my unisaw mobile base is two piece the extension side is held on with two bolts easy to just remove the half that supports the extension my saw is from about the 90's
if yours has two bolts holding the extension on easy to just remove it no need to cut anything leave the cabinet just setting on the base part
Isn't the lifting wheel on the extension part? Going from memory, I think that's how mine was.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
fredhargis said:

Isn't the lifting wheel on the extension part? Going from memory, I think that's how mine was.

Yes, but the square section of the base also has bolt holes for the lift wheel. The base was sold with the lift wheel/without the extension for Unisaws w/32" fences as well as the HD shaper.