Wood ID needed
saw it in a pic and got curious as to what it is

Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

No help, but interested to follow. I had a couple small 4/4 boards that looked just like that which I could never figure out. They weren't nearly as hard as the mahogany and maple that were in the same garage sale stash. Had awesome luminescence though. They seemed similar to butternut in weight and texture, but not the color I'd seen before.
Bill
Know, think, choose, do -- Ender's Shadow
Reminds me of some red maple I have.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
Is the yellowish mark a sticker-protected area? Looks like what happens when you put one of the willow family - poplars/cottonwoods in a stack. If light, fuzzy, and maybe a touch musty smelling, my guess.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MichaelMouse said:

Is the yellowish mark a sticker-protected area? Looks like what happens when you put one of the willow family - poplars/cottonwoods in a stack. If light, fuzzy, and maybe a touch musty smelling, my guess.

Sounds about right.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
from what I understand it is a sanded area to aid in ID
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Around here there are some places building massive tables using slabs from the large cottonwood trees. With nothing else to go on, I would consider cottonwood.

Is it local to SF? It's really hard to tell from just that one pic. Could be just about anything that changes color when exposed to light. Redwood? Cedar?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I was gonna guess cottonwood as well.....especially since it seems fairly wide more than 20" based on the racking upright in the background.

The neighbor took down a huge cottonwood this summer, and some of the chunks sitting out look just like that.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

43" wide

Phil Thien