pretty cool video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM_6iLel0mo
Exceptional finished product....whoa... a lot of work to get there...thanks mbw...

Andrew
"That's like getting a running start and diving headfirst into the vortex."

Steve Freidman 4/21/2013
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm not sure if I like the finish product, but it's a pretty impressive project. Guys got some major power tools
Mark
A few more cut-and-glue cycles and he would have particle board

At one point, did I see end-grain comming out of the planer, grain up ? Think I did; didn't think you could do that. Can you do that ? I'd like to do it but I'm affaraid to try
Yes you did and notice he fastened a piece of long grain at the end. If you take very light passes and protect the ends, you can get away with it.
Enjoyable.
Neat project.
Yeah, you can, carefully and at your own risk.

e deploribus unum

mtmwood has a lot of You Tube vids, he's a full time cutting board, and evidently box maker. He has a video that speaks about his use of the planer on end grain.

Really sharp knives, really shallow passes, and mostly if the idea puts you off at all, DON'T DO IT. He evidently does it all the time on his work, and doesn't talk about much in the way of misadventure.

Me, I have a wide belt sander
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW