Good for a beginner lathe?
I've been thinking about getting into turning to do some pens/plane knobs and smaller bowls and came across this lathe:

Delta wood lathe 46-700 with turning tools $400

While the lathe doesn't stand out I noticed that there was a set of 8 Sorby tools that came with it. Is this a good deal for the lathe/tools for $400? My original idea/goal was to get a smaller mini/midi lathe that I could secure to my work station when I wanted to use it and store it away when not in use. I really hadn't considered a bigger lathe as I didn't want to invest in a big tool if I didn't end up using it enough.

Should I move on from this lathe or is this something I should consider? I've never posted before in the woodturning section so pardon any ignorance I have towards turning. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
If space is a factor, offer him $150 for the tools and look for a mini.
The tools look like they are almost brand new. Those eight Sorby tools - even gently used - would be worth $20-25 a piece or $150-$200.
So, you're picking up the lathe for $200-$250.
What's your question?
---------------------------
Czarcastic (Steven)

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
The lathe is not worth very much in my opinion. The tools are nice but not worth any where near $400. The seller indicates price is firm which indicates that he doesn't realize the true limitations of the lathe. I would say the value is probably around $150, most of that value being the tools.
It would be great for pens and other small turnings and even some bowls and vases if they are trimmed up pretty good first due to the bottom speed of 500 rpm.

This is a lot better then my first lathe and I would get it if I were you.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It is too much money for that lathe. The tools are for mostly spindle work. $225 top price. Offer it, green stuff talks. He can only say no.

It is a good lathe to learn on at a cheap price. Once your hooked on turning see how thin this hobby sucks your wallet. I only had to prove it to my wife one time, now she knows where I am most nights and not in a gin mill sucking on nehi's. Not to mention she is warming up to the idea of turning herself.
If it's a genuine 46-700, it's probably worth noting it was replaced by the manufacturer with the 46-701 in less than a year. The 46-701 was ALMOST as big a dud.

If you're beginning, a set of Sorby tools won't mean a lot. They mean a lot more when you're turning regularly. Haunt the wants for one of the Delta or Jet 10" types used. Someone selling a lathe is either upgrading or leaving. The ones leaving the hobby will include tools.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
If you compare to new the tools alone would be a deal at $350.00 give or take on sale with taxes etc. So your basically getting a lathe for under $200.00 I'd of loved a clean lathe like it for my first the midi I started with was just smaller and very under powered. Bowls are no problem with band sawn round blanks as they'll spin Ok at 500 rpm but as a newbee it'll be scary. Later 500 rpm when balanced will not a big deal.The Sorby are high quality tools and will always be high quality. I say Learn to sharpen get or make a jig to help with sharpening and have some fun. Make an offer and see what he says you may be surprised he's been doing without the money for many years now he will likely consider an offer of 300-350 I'd bet.
Just my opinion which is worth way less as you know.
Good luck
Tim
For me, the biggest problem with this lathe is that it is a reeves drive. While I have never had one of them, I have turned a time or two on one, and while okay, I found a 4 speed pulley to work better. There are many stories about reeves drives needing to be worked on.... The tools are fairly good quality, probably better than the lathe.

robo hippy
Hi, I suggest you to use Rockler Excelsior 5-speed Mini Wood Lathe. This is really helps you. I have use this lathe and I am happy.