Replacing fire extinguishers
I've always kept 3-4 extinguishers in the house and shop, but now I'm wondering about how often they should be replaced (if at all). Opinions? Previously I had been told to check the gauge annually, and weigh the unit...marking the weight on the extinguisher.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'm replacing them this year too. My maintenance has always been to check the gauge and then tap them with a mallet yearly to keep the dry chemical from settling, but I was told that they should be tapped monthly.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

EatenByLimestone said:

I'm replacing them this year too. My maintenance has always been to check the gauge and then tap them with a mallet yearly to keep the dry chemical from settling, but I was told that they should be tapped monthly.

Wouldn't tapping it just make it settle and pack more?

Like tapping a box of cereal and finding out you got ripped off.

I was taught you should turn it over and shake it.?
out here they are supposed to be recharged every year or every other I usually have to look that up as I have a place that requires them. I have found it cheaper to buy new at Costco than have them serviced. Thanks for reminding me as it is that time of year
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

One of the best things you can do is have a good smoke alarm and an escape route planned for each room, including a window designated for a quick exit. And many times the smoke alarm is just too slow to react in time.

Any extinguisher should be at least 5 lb. You should have more than one located in different places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsaLCdC3iWw
As part of replacing the fire extinguishers you have take them and try to put our a fire in barrel or a bucket. You will learn a lot about what their limits are. I get fire extinguisher training every year and they always start us out on the common household 3 and 5# extinguishers and it is pathetic what they can actually put out.

After I took training my first time I skipped getting the small cheap ones and jumped right to big commercial grade units. The price was not that bad.

It is also *critical* that you put them in a place where you will not have to think during an emergency. For me it is one under every sink, left side. Another one is in each closet, left side. Having one under the sink is fine but if it gets shoved to the back by cleaning supplies then it is useless to try to find it during an emergency.
First off----you can buy either non-rechargabel or rechargeable extinguishers---i've seen Costco selling both--but read the package. Relative to cost, you can check with a local extinguisher servicing company for their cost and how often a dry chemical needs to be recharged.

Ideally extinguishers should be inspected once a month---by tapping and checking the gauge, and checking the nozzle for any signs of powder leaking out.

The best locations are in areas where a fire might start--near the kitchen, near a fireplace, in the shop, etc. If you have an extinguisher near the source of a potential fire----you should always have one mounted near an exit to aid in getting out if a fire gets out of control.

Fire extinguisher training is always a good idea. You need to know how far away from the flames you need to be (otherwise you could blow burning material all over the place) and aim at the base of the fire. Short bursts are much better than one long (soon to be empty) burst. that allows you to see if the first shot had the proper effect or you might need to attack multiple locations. Be ready to back out to the exit in any event.
Dave
I've always seen the commercial service guys flip the extinguisher over and rap the bottom with a mallet. It is supposed to agitate the powder to keep it from packing.

This made me think and realize that all of my extinguishers were purchased "when we lived in the old house". They need to be replaced.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
rechargeable extinguishers are cheaper at Costco than having the old ones serviced even if you bring them to the service company to have it done around here. I have about a half dozen still within dates stamped before the tank has to be re-certified all set for being tossed into the trash
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

In our shop at work we have to have the fire extinguishers inspected every year. They send an inspector to the plant.

It would be cheaper to bring the extinguishers to them. A quick Google search in OH finds 20 in the Columbus area. I'm sure that there are others scattered around the state.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.