Fire Extinguisher for the storage shed
It occurred to me this morning that perhaps it would be a good idea to have a fire extinguisher kept in the storage shed out back.
It would be kept inside the shed, so out of the weather, but still subject to the extremes of summer and winter temperatures in Cincinnati, OH.
What could/should I get for these conditions?
Ray
I have a 5 lb abc for the shop. I have it just outside the entrance door under the carport. Just inside the door would be ok, but you want it where if there is a fire and you are not in the building, you can get to it without having to go through a fire to do so.
A 5 lb is the smallest that should be used for any home or shop.

ABC's are dry powder with dry nitrogen so are less affected by temps. They are rated -65F to 120F. But check the label to be sure.

I also have a water hose inside just in case.
What Daddo said, I also have a small ABC unit that's been in my shed for quite a while (guess it's another one to replace) but it's labeled for -40º to 120º. I'm probably 120 miles dead north of you, so you should be good to go.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
What is your reasoning for doing so?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Woodenfish said:

What is your reasoning for doing so?

When you think about it and it is just a small wooden shed and you are only in it for a minute or two to get something or put it back- no real reason. By the time you see smoke from the house, it is going to be involved to the point a small extinguisher won't do much good.
Prevention would be better.
Agreed and that's a fair question to raise.

Granted one is more likely to have a grease fire in the kitchen than probably anywhere else around the house or yard and if a fire were to somehow break out in the shed while I'm in the house and unaware of it, it's likely to be engulfed before I know about it, or can do anything about it other than get the marshmallows and call 911. But then the marshmallow sticks are in the shed so ...

It just seems like a good place to have one in case there's, say, an issue with the grill or something else in or around the shed area while I am out in the yard.
It's a 12x14 shed and I do have children, so it could come in handy to spare a life or minimize property damage in the event of a fire in/around the shed while someone is present.

One could ask the same question of why keep a fire extinguisher in a car, but I've read that it as a recommended item to keep in the car and I know people who do. I haven't, but maybe I will start there too.
Ray
I kept one in my shed because that's where I would gas up machines as well as use solvents for a myriad of purposes. I never considered using that particular one for anything that happened in the house or elsewhere. I used to keep one in the car and actually had a reason to use it. I pulled into a lot where another fellows engine had caught fire. The hood was up and I put the fire out with my extinguisher, this was a lonfgtime ago and I've since stopped putting them in the car.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.