Saga - Replacing the Drive Belt On DW735
"Drive belts are available at extra cost at DEWALT authorized service centers. Replacement of the drive belt should be performed by qualified service personnel". Quote from owners manual.

So my drive belt shredded yesterday and I took the planner to an authorized DeWalt Sercice Center in Nashville. I told him I needed to have the drive belt replaced. He said they had a 4 to 5 week backlog in maintenance work and that I should do it myself.

So I asked him if he had any instructions or diagrams since the manual doesn't show or tell haw to do it. He said "nope".

Ok, so I buy the belt and return home. I remounted the planner on the my stand and started removing parts. Cover, blower dust shroud, and . . . . ?? Confusion, nothing left to remove. Then I removed the handle that adjusts the cutting height and then the side cover. Wahalla! The blade pulley and shredded belt. Then I removed the air vent on the same side to reveal the motor pulley. I decide to do some chain maintenance by cleaning and applying chain lube. Then after some jaw tightening moments I managed to force the new belt over the two pulleys (note: put a block of wood on the cutter head lock lever so the cutter head rotates freely - remove the cutter blades - DAMHIKT; put belt wholly over the smaller motor pulley and start the belt on the larger pulley; rotate the cutter head and force the belt to go around the pulley. It will probably need some persuasion to seat correctly).

Took about 1 hour including cleaning entire machine and installing belt. I love it when you get friendly, helpful service from the authorized personnel. But it worked out well, the planner runs smoothly with beautiful flat cuts.

Hope this helps someone who needs to perform this task.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
If I'm not mistaken, the instructions for installing a Byrd head in this thing covers the drive belt removal and installation.
Had no idea since I haven't replaced my cutter head. But thanks for the input, glad they're available somewhere.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
That old saying about "if you want it done right, do it yourself" applies here. Over the years, I have surprised myself on a number of occasions by fixing stuff that I thought I knew nothing about. I will usually at least make an attempt before seeking professional help. The only place I draw the line is with garage door springs.
A retirement dedicated to fine woodworking and bad golf.
3finger said:

That old saying about "if you want it done right, do it yourself" applies here. Over the years, I have surprised myself on a number of occasions by fixing stuff that I thought I knew nothing about. I will usually at least make an attempt before seeking professional help. The only place I draw the line is with garage door springs.

Don't hesitate to check if there are any You Tube tutorials for whatever tool you wish to work on.

One caveat, the You Tube tutorial to disassemble my Dell M6400 laptop was decidedly incorrect. Use them as guidance, not absolute instruction.
chris
doobes said:

[blockquote]3finger said:

Don't hesitate to check if there are any You Tube tutorials for whatever tool you wish tp work on.

One caveat, the You Tube tutorial to disassemble my Dell M6400 laptop was decidedly incorrect. Use them as guidance, not absolute instruction.

[/blockquote]

I agree on both points. I like to do my own maintance when possible and have looked to U-Tube for assistance. Some great stuff out there, but as Chris said, don't follow it blindly.

My point in the post was three-fold. The manual's quote; the authorized service centers rep's response; and, my discovery in being able to replace the belt without instruction.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
4-5 week back log?

Either the tools are crap or the repair place is lacking.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Warptboard said:

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions for installing a Byrd head in this thing covers the drive belt removal and installation.

You are not mistaken, and they are not only written well, but documented with photos. Shoot, i think it's worth a trip to Byrd Tool site for 735 owners who are not looking to switch heads. Having access to that tutorial made me willing to even try to do the head swap, which was successful.

earl