2 questions , oil stones and Stanley #80
I have a surgical black from hall and wanted to know what stone is this equal to in water stones. I use water stones but have been wanting to play around with the oil stone. I use a 1000,4000,8000 in water stones and wanted to know what is equal to my sharpening procedure in oil stones. Also what oil should I use, can I use jojoba oil. Second question when sharpening an #80 should I hone the back then work on the burr. When I prep for the burr do i put a 45 degree bevel on it then roll a burr. Should I hone the angle as well. Any other suggestions.
Black Arkies vary from one batch to another, just like all Novaculite stones, but I would estimate a really fine one to be approx 6K...

Baby oil is good if you must use oil...the thinner it is the better....I prefer mineral spirits because it evaporates, instead of oxidizing and turning to varnish... oil oxidizes in the pores of the stone...not good...

And another better smelling lube is WD40...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Here's a reference chart from Sharpening Supplies.

Chart

Like Jack says, black Arkansas is in the "extremely fine" class - between 4000 and 8000 water stones.

Mike
Check out Paul Sellers video on sharpening the #80.
The Arkansas stone would give a finer edge than your present stones.

Here is a razor edge honed by Tim Zowada with a Norton 8000:

Here is one honed with a translucent Arkansas stone:
I believe "surgical" was derived from sharpening scalpel blades, back in the day...

I use WD40 on my oilstones.