Replacing tile grout
OMG. Grout flaking/pitting all over the house in traffic areas. As this occurs and is vacuumed, the voids in the grout just below the 'surface' become visible and show what a poor job was done (not enough effort to make sure the grout was packed, and maybe mix not wet enough to begin with). I've done a lot tile myself and never had this happen, and lived with tile done by others that didn't do this, so I don't see any other explanation. Tile is solidly on the floor (slab). Only in a handful of places have entire chunks of grout broken out, and in those cases it's 'cleanly' broken. It looks like hell and it's time to fix it. Or replace it altogether, which is a helluva job. So I got one of the grout removal tools, and although it does break down the grout, it also frequently chips the edges of the tile. Is this normal? I suspect the tile is 'less than best', but it's held up well to things falling on it (except for the chunk where I dropped a countertop). LOML would love to see wood everywhere. If we get to that point, I'd expect a nightmare trying to get the thinset cleaned up. Can this be mitigated with a self-leveling overlay?
Remove tile. Rent the floor buffer with the carbide tips from HD (for large areas) or get the cup grinder and have a go at it. All tools rentable at HD. We removed 3K SF of ceramic tile set with epoxy type thinset. The floor buffer was the only tool we could use for the finish clean up and it worked well. Be prepared for dust!

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
What is the grout removal tool?

Using a vibrating multitool with carbide or diamond blade works well enough, though slow. This is the path of least resistance. You can do it in sections if you like.

Depending on the amount of tile, you can pop the tile up with a wide blade in a rotary hammer. There are more expensive tools, but, they are more expensive.

You can remove the remaining thinset using a 7" diamond cup wheel in a grinder, but its very dusty. The big grinder noted in a prior post is well worth it if your area is large though.

You will get dust everywhere. Wear a very good dust mask. Seal everything with plastic. Don't just drape it, seal it or remove it.

I have a Den that needs the tile removed. Since I can get the big grinder locally, it will be done with the angle grinder. It will be a lot of work.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Tool is hand held, double carbide blade. It does the job, but slooowly.

The dust/mess is a big consideration since we're living in the house. Given that I hate the baseboard they used and am willing to replace that, is there a good reason (other than it screams LAZY ) to not lay a floating laminate on top of the tile? The grouting is bad... tile is solid and laid as 'flat' as any I've seen. I've got maybe an hour into this grout removal and it pretty well sucks. Another probably 1800sf to go.
Mr_Mike said:

Using a vibrating multitool with carbide or diamond blade works well enough, though slow.

This^^^, and be aware you have my deepest sympathy. This job may be one of those that I consider worse than drywall taping.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'd grind out the grout with a oscillating tool and regrout.

I have removed marble tile from a whole house once and see a floor buffer to grind the thin set off and don't ever want to do it again. Those cartoons showing the floor bugger spinning with a person on it... It will do it easily. It's extremely torque and will grab and spin you or put the handle through the wall. Takes lots of practice.

No matter what method your use its not fun. As for dust there isn't any dust as your should be keeping the surface wet. For grout removal use a spray bottle. For floor grinding I use a garden hose.

Now as to the cause of the grout breaking loose that is often caused by expansion and contraction especially here in tx. The slab expands a decent amount in the summer.
Robert Adams said:

Now as to the cause of the grout breaking loose that is often caused by expansion and contraction especially here in tx. The slab expands a decent amount in the summer.

That may well be the issue, but I'd expect to see some broken tile in that case. And a lot more grout broken completely loose. It's more a flaking/pitting problem.

I just re-grouted a maybe 10x10 area and will look at that for a time and see if the same thing happens before we commit to anything major.

Thanks for the responses!
I would use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut out most of the grout. Use the multi tool to clean up after the grinder. Much faster than just the multi tool.

Twinn
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

I would use an angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut out most of the grout. Use the multi tool to clean up after the grinder. Much faster than just the multi tool.

Twinn

If you have a wide enough grout line this would be the way I'd do it. The handheld tool was nearly worthless when I had to do a 4' x 4' are, and the carbide oscillating tool blade I tried didn't last for 10'.

Oh the dust though !

John
Grout removal blades are available for reciprocating saws. Might be faster than a multipurpose tool on large floor areas. The Spyder blade is available in two thicknesses.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessorie...49-00-5450

http://www.spyderproducts.com/toolpages/...grout-out/