Turning is Magnetic?
I just got a Sorby's 3/4 scraper.
It has a rounded bottom side.

While introducing it to the steel tool rest, I noticed magnetize-um.
Sorry, that is what spell check says !!

Turns out it is slightly magnetic. The tool, not the rest.
Is this normal?
Ag
magnetism works for my spellchecker.

Some steels get magnetized easily. I am told that even storing them on a mag bar can do it.

It is no big deal. It can even be helpful in reminding us to anchor (as in Anchor-Bevel-Cut).

The one downside that I know of is that grinding dust can stick to the tool and then rub off on the wood when you are cutting. The metallic dust is not good for finishes. So just wipe the dust off after sharpening.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
It happens. Smacking it on a piece of wood might demagnetize it.
badwhiskey said:

True that smacking it will sometimes de-mag.

It will also de-mag if you heat it to its Curie temperature. I just don't have a good guess any more about Curie temperatures for tool steel or HSS alloys. Must be getting old.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

badwhiskey said:

I will try that Frank. I also have several tools that have not been on a magnetic bar and have a magnetic charge on them.
I do not like it due to it sticks to the rest and hard to push or move around.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin,

If magnetism is making it hard to move the tool around on the rest, you may need to do a maintenance on the rest. If it is a soft iron rest, then they need to be cleaned up occasionally as they get dinged and dented. The best way that I have found is to draw file the rest with a decent-sized mill smooth file. After you get it smooth again, rub it down with some beeswax or candle wax.

If your skews have sharp long edges, then breaking those edges slightly will make your life much easier as well.

FWIW, I really like the low-profile Robust tool rests. They are very forgiving. The only downside so far is that I need to wax them a bit more often than a usually remember to do it because of the very high humidity around here encouraging a bit of rust.

Definitive would be to get a magnetizer/demagnetizer. Something like this in an electrical.

Or this in a self-contained unit.

I've had my tools on magnetic bars for years. Last time the subject of magnetism came up, I was able to pick up three 1/2" brads with the worst case. Dirt particles, it'll hold.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Synonym, word that you use when you can't spell it right with spell check.....

I have noticed that my tools will pick up metal dust after sharpening with the metal CBN wheels. No idea why. I tap it with a piece of metal, and that either de-matnetizes (need a synonym..) or just knocks the dust off. I never noticed that it was enough to make the tool drag on the tool rests, but I use the drill rod ones from Robust, and one stainless one from Oneway.

robo hippy
A demagnetizer or degausser would be the best solution. Striking a tool can cause it to shatter.

Some of my tools have become magnetized and (since I retired) I no longer have access to "world class" degaussing equipment.
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
Ivan

The rest is always kept up so I do not get and dings in the wood.

I have the PM3520b rest and althought it is nice I am convinced the Robust ones are much better and I really need the 4" and 6" ones the most since when we do pen turning the 14" ones are just in the way and the tool hangs to far over the rest.

But the price on them would buy lot of pen kits and it is either them turning pen kits on doing nothing unless I have extra wood for doing bowls, boxes or vases instead.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.