PSA: When one moves around their 15 planer....
....and you go to use it, make sure you haven't pushed in the lever that adjusts the roller speed so that it's in neutral. Because if you do, you can't get a board through and will spend the next 1-3 hours checking and adjusting everything that can be checked and adjusted thinking that something was out of alignment instead of realizing that THE BLOODY ROLLER'S WEREN'T MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I would have any first hand knowledge of this.

At least the planer is probably in better alignment than it's ever been.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Lets see here...
Daily detention the Band saw blade - Check!

Daily VOM for continuity the ground wire on the DC- Check!

Weekly present a hot dog to the SS and test for function - Check!

Pressure test the self -ejecting DP key and lube if required - Check!

Remove shop shoes and test treads for safety - Check!

Retract all hand plane irons - Check!

And now this....OMG, neutral the fool planer too......
No wonder I get nothing done.....
Ag
As I used to emphasize. AFTER assuring that the aircraft is safe, check to see that you have power to the mal/nonfunctioning component. Too many chase gnats while the elephant that brought 'em stomps their butt.

My planer lever chooses either off or on, and has been bumped to off so many times I've lost track.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Something that hasn't happened to me yet, but I can see how it could.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've never had that problem because the folks that designed both my planers had the foresight to know that I would do the same thing so they spared me the frustration by not including that function. The rollers always turn on my Inca and Foley Belsaw. Unfortunately, my new Mini Max J/P does have that feature and, drum roll please, yes, I've already left it in jointer mode when trying to plane a board. Didn't take long to figure it out, but..... In the end, I really don't understand why they included that feature; it's not like the drive rollers take much power when nothing is being planed. Does anyone know why it's a bad idea to leave it engaged when I'm jointing?

John
sniper said:

....and you go to use it, make sure you haven't pushed in the lever that adjusts the roller speed so that it's in neutral. Because if you do, you can't get a board through and will spend the next 1-3 hours checking and adjusting everything that can be checked and adjusted thinking that something was out of alignment instead of realizing that THE BLOODY ROLLER'S WEREN'T MOVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that I would have any first hand knowledge of this.

At least the planer is probably in better alignment than it's ever been.

same holds true for a tractor with a hi/lo range transmission. Yup, sure enough is

John no idea on a combo machine, but on all of the 15 and 20" planers I've had through the years all of them have had a 2 range switch, and I can honestly say I've never been in a hurry, always leave mine on slo mo for the finish to win

It is my understanding if you are going to move it on a solo machine anyhow, you do it once it's running. Not sure what may happen otherwise?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
It is kinda hard on the transmission John but that is not even it

it is a safety feature so that you cannot stick your hand in the huge hole that is left when the planer table is down. that would make for a pretty wild rodeo in a pinch point location
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I keep mine on slow, which is the pulled out position and it supposedly won't change speed unless the machine is on. The only thing I can figure is it will go to neutral if the machine is off, but not all the way to the other speed.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper